Greetings.

• Thread starter Deleted member 128018
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 128018

Greetings Linux.org

Been using Windows OSs for years without problems or complaints although Windows 8.0/8.1 and Windows 10 ain't the Windows OSs I'm accustom to and things change.

Anyway I've been reading about Linux and decided what the hell I'll give it a try so I dug out the old Windows 7 computer and set it up.

This Linux seemed to fit the bill.

I downloaded the iso and learned how to make a bootable DVD and after a few attempts I got the computer to boot from the DVD.
I played around with LXLE for awhile before I installed it which was pretty much straight to the point.
I figured out how to update LXLE and enable the firewall by cruising through the menu.
I'm still feeling my way around and learning about the software that is already installed.
I'll figure all of this out the more I use it and If I screw it up I'll reinstall it.

Lets see about me ain't a whole lot I'm 65 years old and retired this year and enjoying it. :)

Hi Youngster
welcome to the forums, what was the old machine you used? if its W7 then its probably the same age as my lappy..
you have a learning curve ahead of you, so grab a beer kick your shoes off and enjoy the ride

Bwiz

G'day old timer, Welcome to Linux.org

There is a wide variety of young and old here.....mainly old(er) methinks.

The array of Knowledge is considerable/vast.

The collective sense of humour is without parallel

You have found a good place to spend time.

Hi Youngster
welcome to the forums, what was the old machine you used? if its W7 then its probably the same age as my lappy..
you have a learning curve ahead of you, so grab a beer kick your shoes off and enjoy the ride

Bwiz
Thanks for the welcome and the "Hi Youngster" I like that.

The computer is a Dell Optiplex 380 desktop from 2010 that had Windows 7 Pro 32bit on.
I know I have a lot to learn and I'm willing to put forth the effort and learn as I use and so far everything is working great.

Thanks again for the welcome.

G'day old timer, Welcome to Linux.org

There is a wide variety of young and old here.....mainly old(er) methinks.

The array of Knowledge is considerable/vast.

The collective sense of humour is without parallel

You have found a good place to spend time.
Thanks for the welcome Condobloke I figured this might be a good place to spend time.
I checked out quite a few forums before deciding on this one seems to be laid back.

Thanks again for the welcome.

0cd7RxV.gif

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, tries to blow smoke rings like friend Gandalf ... fails miserably, curses in High Elven, feels better)

G'day @old timer and welcome :)

I'm the baby in this Thread so far, at 64, although my alter ego, Wizard, is 5,000 years old.

LXLE is an interesting choice. A few years ago, I had the 14 series running on a Compaq lappie with only 512 MB RAM and it ran respectably.

Enjoy.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

...this one seems to be laid back.

If we were any more laid back, we'd be horizontal. :D

Welcome a lot of beggining users run linux on a dual boot or usb live .
Usb live makes it easy to install on long side windows.

Hello wizardfromoz Thanks for the welcome.

I was 64 some months back and now at 65 I really don't feel no different could be that apple cider vinegar I drink on a regular bases it's supposed to be good for you old fashion remedy.

I wasn't sure which Linux was the best to get started with and chose LXLE because of its "Revive your old PC" and my computer is 11 years old and low spec by today's standards.

LXLE works good.

Thanks for the welcome wizardfromoz.

Welcome a lot of beggining users run linux on a dual boot or usb live .
Usb live makes it easy to install on long side windows.
Hello xXNORDXx Thanks for the welcome.

I read some about dual boot Windows 10 and Linux but since I had a spare computer and wasn't sure how this would turn out I decided to not try the dual boot.

The main goal at this time is to become familiar with Linux.

Thanks for the welcome xXNORDXx.

Dell Optiplex 380
my computer is 11 years old and low spec by today's standards.

that was a good guess on my part almost the same spec as my 2010 dell lappy, with a choice of distro's on the drive [Mint+cinnamon, Mx +Xfce and Debian stable + Xfce]

I see you chose a medium/light build of linux, but your machine should be quite capable of running any of the current builds

Bwiz

Hello brickwizard,

Cool good to know and yes I did go with a medium/light build of Linux because I was unsure of exactly what would work on this old desktop.

I read really good reviews about Linux Mint and Linux MX and want to try them later down the road after I learn more about Linux.

Thanks for the info and sounds as you've been around Linux for quite some time.

Before I do anything I need to purchase a larger hard drive.
The hard drive that is in this desktop is only a 40 GB hard drive.
I'm considering a 120 GB SSD since they seem to be reasonably priced.

You are right about a learning curve I'm learning I have a lot to learn about Linux and step by step inch by inch I'll get there.

I ran across this in the "Getting Started " section of the forums and found it a really enjoyable and informative article.

Thanks brickwizard.

Hi,
the differences in the way Linux distros work and Windows, means you get less gunk bulding up on your harddrive [I hope in the past you have run M$ defrag or similar and sat and watched it for hours whilst it tidied up the drive, well there is none of that to do with linux, also you will notice Win 10 [when you add in all the additional programs you need [office/anti-virus/firewall etc] can take up over 24 gb of you drive, a full installation of say mint with cinnamon desktop will fit easily on to a 16gb flash card..

Now as your distro is ubuntu based an application [we dont have programs] you may like to try [if you haven't already] is inxi , with this you can find almost everything about your hardware
to use inxi open the terminal and type inxi -Fnx [inxispace-Fnx] whatever you do , you do not use this code to paste info to message boards you use inxi -Fnxz the z filters out security sensitive information.
don't worry you cant hurt anything as inxi is an information only application

Thanks for the info and sounds as you've been around Linux for quite some time.
I have been using Linux for over 20 yrs and as a sole OS a few less years, But I am no expert, I have been [as a hobby] building/repairing mine/friends/families hardware since the 1980's, so I describe myself as a hardware man I certainly am not a software tec [it never held an interest to me] so what I have picked up has come from setting up new components etc.

have fun
Bwiz
Erratum .. most of us are well scattered around the glob so you may not always get a quick answer , if your willing what part of the globe are you in?
another thought, if you get a new harddrive go for one with a minimum 7200 spin speed

Last edited:
Hello brickwizard,

I learned how to do the basic maintenance in Windows and understand the importance of keeping a Windows OS maintained.

I did also notice how much space Windows 10 updates and additional software use up.

My location on the globe the USA and I kind of figured that people on the forum were scattered on the globe and different time zones so figured I get a response when I do.

I did find a thread on the forum about retrieving system info and bookmarked it for later.

I don't need much additional software I mostly web search and do basic office document stuff and occasionally download pictures from my digital camera memory card.

Today I'm going to read about "Synaptic Package Manager" seems to be the way to install and uninstall software.

Thanks again brickwizard.

Synaptic Manager is very powerful, and makes big changes with very few clicks.

Take a look at Timeshift when you have a moment.

It works in similar fashion to system restore in Windows......the main difference is it actually works!

The Timeshift snapshots are more often than not kept on an external hard drive.

I elect to only keep around 3 snapshots at any one time....I regularly clean out (delete) one or two and create a new one roughly every couple of weeks or month or so....depending on my level of activity.

If you happen to screw up your OS, you may be more at ease to simply reinstall it

or....Timeshift will allow you to go back to some time before the screw up

Last edited:
Hello Condobloke,

Synaptic Package Manager appears to do many different things.

I went for broke and removed "abiword" and "gnumeric" which is some office software but I didn't like it and I installed "LibreOffice Suite" which I use in Windows 10.

Synaptic Package Manager showed every bit of related software that was going to be removed and showed every bit of related software that was going to be installed.

I know this ain't no big deal for experienced Linux users but for me a new Linux user I'm excited and it wasn't that hard to do with instructions and "LibreOffice" works. :D

I think I kind of understand what a Linux repository is kind of like a warehouse full of Linux software.

OK "Timeshift" seems like I saw a thread in the tutorial section of the forum so I need to have a look there.

I'll have a look there a little bit later or tomorrow I need to let some of this absorb and settle so I don't become confused.

Thanks Condobloke.

Members online

Latest posts