Greetings....

I use fail2ban because...

• My IPTables depends on it...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
Credits
I have been a Linux user since way back in 1994 when I first downloaded a tar.gz and broke it out to 80 some 1.5Meg floppy disks for installation on a 386SX I had sitting around the shop at Cray Research, where I worked at the time.
Since then, I have used quite a few distributions and have now settled on Bodhi, Mint and Sparky. Each provide a flavor of Enlightenment which allows very detailed control of the user interface. While I spend most of my time on a command line using terminology, when I do make use of a gui, I want it wrapped in a desktop MY way. Enlightenment allows me that control. Additionally, it is fast and flexible.
I code in Perl almost exclusively when working on a Linux platform. I do a little bit in C(++) when working with mico-controllers like the Arduino and Adafruit boards.
I have keen interests in agriculture and beekeeping. Most anything else about me can be found via my profile on this site which has a pointer to my blog, where I simply write whatever I happen to have on my mind at the moment.
Though I am retired, I do keep up on a few things (other than the news, or rather, what passes for news these days).
In general, I enjoy learning and interacting with folks. Life is a strange place, and we are the strangest inhabitants of that place. Make for some interesting times... . I like the idea of OSS, which is the primary reason I am here....

Last edited:

Hello young farmer (I say that because I am 4 years and 3 months your Senior ;)) and welcome to linux.org :D

I see you are already active in contributing, that is wonderful :)

Crikey, 1994 for Linux, that is awesome. If you have any brains left after we finish picking them, you'll have to call 911 or relevant number to your country :rolleyes:

I am from DownUnder, perhaps one of its "strangest inhabitants" and you'll see me around from time to time.

Speaking of Cray, you may have a comment on what I read, that as at last November, all 500 of the world's top supercomputers are running on Linux?

Enjoy your time here, and hope it is a long stay ;)

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Hello young farmer (I say that because I am 4 years and 3 months your Senior ;)) and welcome to linux.org :D
Ahhh....heck, at this point we are practically twins... lol

Figured I would take a shot at it...

Crikey, 1994 for Linux, that is awesome. If you have any brains left after we finish picking them, you'll have to call 911 or relevant number to your country :rolleyes:
Afraid my brain is sort of half hatched already, but will do my best to make anything that might be useful as available as I know how...

I am from DownUnder, perhaps one of its "strangest inhabitants" and you'll see me around from time to time.
Strange is cool! Diversity is strength.... :)

Speaking of Cray, you may have a comment on what I read, that as at last November, all 500 of the world's top supercomputers are running on Linux?
I have not read that, but it does not surprise me considering the focus of Cray these days. The paradigm shift has been from specialized compute hardware to generic compute hardware with some great network hardware and some software that handles cluster computing I guess. It was almost an inevitable shift. Still, the world would not be the same place without the work we did way back when, and I am still proud of my little part in it. I happened to post the this on FB the other day along with a word of Appreciation.

Thank you!

wjw

Welcome to the community.
Good to see another Enlightenment fan!

Last year I finally got around to building and installing e21 on Debian (which still only has E17 in its repos).

Sadly, I recently uninstalled it to free up some space on my rapidly filling HD - because I hardly ever used it. Much as I like Enlightenment, I prefer dwm (a tiling window manager) for my day to day activities.

But I've kept Terminology, which to me is Enlightenments killer app. Being able to view multimedia files (images, videos and audio) in the terminal is nothing short of awesome!

I have been a Linux user since way back in 1994 when I first downloaded a tar.gz and broke it out to 80 some 1.5Meg floppy disks for installation on a 386SX I had sitting around the shop at Cray Research, where I worked at the time.

Welcome! It sounds like you'll be teaching us a thing or two... looking forward to it. :cool::D

You might notice above how the "quote" feature works... just click and drag your mouse on the text you want to quote, and a little "Reply" bubble appears that you can click. Makes reading easier to follow.

Cheers

Ahhh....heck, at this point we are practically twins... lol

Figured I would take a shot at it...

Afraid my brain is sort of half hatched already, but will do my best to make anything that might be useful as available as I know how...

Strange is cool! Diversity is strength.... :)

I have not read that, but it does not surprise me considering the focus of Cray these days. The paradigm shift has been from specialized compute hardware to generic compute hardware with some great network hardware and some software that handles cluster computing I guess. It was almost an inevitable shift. Still, the world would not be the same place without the work we did way back when, and I am still proud of my little part in it. I happened to post the this on FB the other day along with a word of Appreciation.

Thank you!

wjw
Thanks for posting that article about Seymour Cray. I maintained a lot of CDC products during my time in the military, for instance the 9760 & 9766 disk drives. I had not realized that he was involved with the company before he started Cray. Nice little history lesson. He will be greatly missed.:):)

Oh, and welcome to the group, mate.

Happy Trails
Paul

Staff online

Members online