Greetings to Everyone!

Not if you have watched NCIS,

I have not. I've maybe seen an episode or two, probably never a full episode. I do kinda know what the show is.

I've got a bunch of beaver stuff, including a chainsaw art beaver. Unsurprisingly, hardly anyone makes the connection - even if I'm standing right beside it wearing an alumni sweatshirt.

even if I'm standing right beside it wearing an alumni sweatshirt.
Probably confused why is he wearing an MIT shirt with a CIT mascot

LOL The important one is *Tim* the Beaver. He's been the mascot for a long time.

Oddly, after I retired I'd spend a couple of years teaching a few classes at UMF. UMF is also The Beavers.

Welcome to the group! As far as wasting time at a college, have you tried looking at the M.I.T Open Courseware? You can view videos of all the lectures at the Mas. Inst. of Tech., you know, the one up there in 'Bean Town". Check it out online https://ocw.mit.edu/index.htm

Happy Trails,
Paul
Thanks! I will see this, seems interesting!

I'm a beaver.
You're a beaver.
We are beavers all!

(Probably a little obscure.)
3.1415926 to be more exact! (Yeah, I'm a nerd! How else do you explain this whole robot thing?) Beaver call?

Last edited:
3.1415926 to be more exact! Beaver call?

*flaps his tail*

We weren't really all that big in the popular sports - but our players played hard and we'd go cheer 'em on.

If you don't mind, I'll digress a bit further.

I sometimes miss the academic atmosphere. I did teach a bit after retiring, so I think of that instead when I am missing school.

See, I am a "Doctor of Philosophy" already - in Applied Mathematics. But, that's nothing... All sorts of people share the same title and honorary.

There's the illusive title of "Philosopher of Mathematics", which is a fascinating field. I don't know if I'm smart enough and it's purely ego-driven.

Right now, I'd not be a 'notable' person on Wikipedia. I want my name on lists like this one:

Dr. Hook sang a song about wanting to be on the cover of the Rolling Stone. I want my name on an obscure list of notable people. A list pretty much nobody will ever read.

But, that list includes people like Russell - of Principia Mathematica fame, where he and Whitehead took almost 400 pages to prove that 1 + 1 = 2. In the end, there's no real proof that it does equal two - except that it equals two because we all agree that it does. They conclude that it's largely logicism all the way down.

Though dated, Principia is still worth reading. If I were to strive for the degree and recognition, I'd probably do it in the field of infinities and number sets. I'd like to point to the absurdities, contradictions in logic, and how it's all really arbitrary. I marvel at how we all just agree to some absurd conclusions, accepting them as truth despite critical thinking.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if I'm smart enough and I'm really trying to retire. I just suck at retiring because I keep obligating my time to other people.

I'm a beaver.
You're a beaver.
We are beavers all!

I used to live in Oregon, the mascot of Oregon State is...

Last edited:
I used to live in Oregon, the mascot of Oregon Stae is...

I'm gonna guess it's a beaver!

I tried to go to Oregon once. I died of dysentery!

I kid! I've been through Oregon a few times. One of the times, I had time enough to visit your crater lake park. I forget if it's a national or a state park, but I've been there.

I don't know why, I really don't know why, I read that beaver thing with the music of the badger badget badger song...

I know, it doesn't even fit (if you want to breath), but in my brain it makes sense (?)

*flaps his tail*

We weren't really all that big in the popular sports - but our players played hard and we'd go cheer 'em on.

I sometimes miss the academic atmosphere. I did teach a bit after retiring, so I think of that instead when I am missing school.

See, I am a "Doctor of Philosophy" already - in Applied Mathematics. But, that's nothing... All sorts of people share the same title and honorary.

There's the illusive title of "Philosopher of Mathematics", which is a fascinating field. I don't know if I'm smart enough and it's purely ego-driven.

Right now, I'd not be a 'notable' person on Wikipedia. I want my name on lists like this one:

Dr. Hook sang a song about wanting to be on the cover of the Rolling Stone. I want my name on an obscure list of notable people. A list pretty much nobody will ever read.

But, that list includes people like Russell - of Principia Mathematica fame, where he and Whitehead took almost 400 pages to prove that 1 + 1 = 2. In the end, there's no real proof that it does equal two - except that it equals two because we all agree that it does. They conclude that it's largely logicism all the way down.

Though dated, Principia is still worth reading. If I were to strive for the degree and recognition, I'd probably do it in the field of infinities and number sets. I'd like to point to the absurdities, contradictions in logic, and how it's all really arbitrary. I marvel at how we all just agree to some absurd conclusions, accepting them as truth despite critical thinking.

Anyhow, I'm not sure if I'm smart enough and I'm really trying to retire. I just suck at retiring because I keep obligating my time to other people.
IMHO "Digression" is good for the soul, nyuk nyuk!

*flaps his tail*

I was impressed with the math involved in the "Bletchley Park" project during WW2!

"The bomb" was an amazing piece of work!!

Last edited:
IMHO "Digression" is good for the soul, nyuk nyuk!

I agree! We are also in 'member introductions', so it's not too bad.

I was impressed with the math involved in the "Bletchley Park" project during WW2!

The math of the code breakers was insane. The math behind the enigma was also impressive. Politics and sexuality are generally off-topic here, so I'll just add that one might want to look into one Mr. Alan Turing's post-war experiences.

Anyhow, we stand on the shoulders of giants. Some absolutely brilliant people have been involved in bringing math to its current level. To get your doctorate in a math field, you must present something both novel and useful and I think that's a great way to keep it.

Knowing what I do about the history of mathematics, it's extremely humbling. There is absolutely no way that I could 'invent' calculus, not even in two lifetimes. But, I'd sure like to see my name included with the philosophers of mathematics.

I've kept my academic journals and I continue to work in them. They're destined to a library when I pass. Maybe in 200 years, someone will dig them out and I'll be a historical footnote.

One of my favorite fishing holes has a grumpy beaver. After a while, he comes over and smacks his tail against the water.

Beavers don't eat fish - or meat. So, it's not like I'm taking his food. He's not surprised, I'll have been there for a while and we've seen each other numerous times.

I'm pretty sure the beaver is just a dick.

All in the day of a fisherman just to Pee you off! :D

It's too bad, really. You can sit there and fight yellow perch and bass all day long. Eventually, Mr. Beaver gets tired of you being there, saunters over, smashes his tail against the water, and scares away all the fish.

@KGIII was this you?
255782986_10158139813102854_13118893603772232_n.jpg

I'd so fall for that. I'd buy 'em a 2nd drink after learning that, however.

Members online

Latest posts