Greetings and Introductions from Switzerland

jlpeifer

Reaction score
Credits
Howdy, I'm a transplant from the U.S. living in Switzerland. I've been tapping on keyboards since the early 80's. Most of my time has been spent working on Macs and Windows machines, but I occasionally (very occasionally) dip my toes into the world of Linux. I joined linux.org because I wanted advice on how to harden security on a public-facing Debian server. I was not disappointed. @f33dm3bits helped me understand the pros/cons of various methods of locking things down. Great, timely advice.

(I'm an independent I.T. administrator and one-man helpdesk for an increasing number of boomers and older folks)

Welcome to the forums and the community @jlpeifer!! What got your interest in GNU/Linux started?

Last edited:
G'day from DownUnder @jlpeifer and welcome to linux.org :)

Stick around long enough and you may become a convert.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Welcome to the forums and the community @jlpeifer!! What got your interest in GNU/Linux started?

@f33dm3bits ... I didn't see this question until just now. Sorry for the delayed response. I'm a general I.T. consultant. 99% of my time is spent dealing with Windowz and OSX systems. I maintain a Debian server for Web hosting clients. Since OSX is linux-based, I occasionally need to drop into Terminal to do things. I don't spend much time touching the Debian system. When I do I almost always find myself getting into command-line stuff. Since it's a live server hosting my client's websites I tiptoe around and try not to break things.

@f33dm3bits Since OSX is linux-based, I occasionally need to drop into Terminal to do things.
I see, interesting! Although OSX/MacOS is not based on GNU/Linux but BSD, give credit where it's due ;)

Last edited:
Although OSX/MacOS is not based on GNU/Linux but BSD

... and that shows (sadly) the overall state knowledge I have in O/S's that aren't Microsoft or Apple. Would "linux-like" be acceptable?

@jlpeifer
G'day and welcome from another transplant to Europe hailing from the same continent as the @wizardfromoz and @Condobloke . I am abiding in Central Ukraine since providence saw it fit for me to be here.
As an aside I wouldn't worry to much about your lack of knowledge as we all lack knowledge; some of us a lot, others not so much so we are all learners of the knowledge we are ignorant of, but yet at the same time we are all teachers in one way or another.
A student teaches their Teacher.

Members online