Greeting and salutations

ChristiCow

Reaction score
Credits
Good morning! Thanks for letting me be part of your community!

I really dislike writing these intro things, but here goes: I'm 45 and generally a computer/tech novice. After attending numerous "Women in Tech" panel discussions, I decided I wanted to be a woman in tech and am now studying part-time at the local community college. I'm a complete novice when it comes to Linux and am looking forward to learning more.

Hello ChristiCow,

Welcome to Linux.org forum.

A good read.

These may help.

The best way to learn Linux is to use Linux so here's a good place to start.
Written for Linux Mint however will work for other mainstream Linux distros.
Read as many times as necessary and then test a few Linux distros and see what appeals to you.

Linux Lite.

Linux Mint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome ChristiCow,
I am a new member also. Only been here about 3-4 months.
Those distros mentioned are all good; but, I think Linux Mint may be the easiest one to work with at the start. Then you can graduate to some of the more complicated ones.
This will get you to the download page for LM 19.2.
Once again, Greetings and welcome.
Old Geezer
TC
{Short for Tango Charlie}

I really dislike writing these intro things, but here goes: I'm 45 and generally a computer/tech novice. After attending numerous "Women in Tech" panel discussions, I decided I wanted to be a woman in tech and am now studying part-time at the local community college. I'm a complete novice when it comes to Linux and am looking forward to learning more.
All you have to do is take the first steps; always remember this, other people are only further down the path than you thats all. Sometimes you might find you don't understand something. You might be amazed if you give it a little time that ..after letting it sink in, re-reading you will understand it

G'day Christi, and Welcome to linux.org

Advice ?....keep it simple.

Linux Mint is simple.

Install it and learn

It can be run from a usb stick ....or it can be installed to the hard drive

We can talk about choices later

dont allow yourself to be talked into installing other distros.....they will initially cause you nothing but pain.

Keep it simple, straightforward.

Last edited by a moderator:
... and am looking forward to learning more.

And we will look forward to "having your back" if you need us :)

0cd7RxV.gif

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

G'day Christi and welcome to linux.org :)

Yeah, Brian above is an Aussie too.

You've got some good material to read above, and links to follow to.

If or when you have digested that, and you have questions about which Distro (LInux Distribution) to install or try, then start a new Thread in Getting Started and we'll swing on by.

Be prepared with the brand name, model and some specifications for the computer you want to use, and maybe tell us what sort of things you like to do on the computer setup you have now eg word processing, websurfing &c.

A journey of 1,000 miles begins with a single step ... have comfortable running shoes on.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

G'day @ChristiCow and welcome to the community.
I concur with @Condobloke , about keeping it simple, you are more than likely know the Vindows desktop, well Linux Mint with the Cinnamon desktop is very Windowies in its lay out, that is why I prefer it myself as I learn to drive and maintain the Linux machine.
You will come to find with Linux everything is out in the open unlike Vindows including the command line prompt which in the Linux world is normally called the terminal and with Mint it is on your task bar on left hand side, but don't get all nervy about using it as it can give you more information than any GUI can. Just ask @Granny Sue, she also is a recently new member of the community.
I too was hesitant at using at first but now beginning to get really comfortable with using it.
As the @wizardfromoz said "Have comfortable running shoes on"
Enjoy your journey with Linux.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Much appreciated, as are all the links.

Off topic, but for the Aussies - I live in Nebraska USA, but have been obsessed with Australia since I was a wee small girl and was fortunate enough to visit your fine country last year. All I can say is - I'm dying to go back (but I'd like to figure out teleportation first - that was a very long time to be on a plane).

that was a very long time to be on a plane
I know the feeling except I went west not east from the Land Down Under. BTW I be Aussie born and bred but Providence had other plans in store for me.

Greetings @ChristiCow !
I used to be a "complete novice" also. But I first started running Linux about 15 years ago and have graduated to just plain "novice".
One of the most profound things I have learned about Linux is what Richard Stallman meant about "free as in libre" software.

Hard to be off-topic here in Member Introductions, Christi :)

You can make do with half a dozen "Hello and Welcome" 's, or we can have a gasbag (chew the fat) and get to know each other better.

Your call.

We had a wonderful time 2 years ago with a fellow from Croatia name of @finrodfelagund_ and Paul @VP9KS got us all talking about Western TV shows :D

We also have since June an Off Topic Forum, and I see you have found my Rock Roxx.

Enjoy

Wizard
BTW Hi @Vrai and nicely said about Stallman.

Another nice thing about it is that you don't need to spend thousands of dollars checking out distributions, just the price of a thumb drive that you can re-use over and over again:):). Welcome to the motley crew!!

Happy Trails,
Paul

Last edited:
Welcome ChristCow! Congrats on finding this wonderful forum and joining in! We have lots of fun here, I tend to create quite a bit myself with terrible blunders! You'll see as time goes on. I'm thinking about learning more about the techy side of things myself, and I'm 68! You can do it, girl!

Take it slow and have fun.

GrannySue

Members online

Latest posts