Graphics problems on Thinkpad E470....

furycd001

Reaction score
Credits
HI Guys..

For the past few days I have been trying to get graphics to fully function on a Lenovo Thinkpad E470 laptop running Xubuntu-core 20.04.2 with kernel 5.4.0-73-generic & intel / Nvidia GeForce 940MX graphics (optimus:?). I initially installed 20.04.2 from the regular installer, but couldn't get it to boot after the installation had finished. Unable to boot I downloaded the mini.iso & opted to install xubuntu-core. I was now able to boot to a desktop when the installation finished, so I installed nvidia-driver-460 using the Additional Drivers settings window. Upon rebooting I was no longer able to access the desktop. I booted into recovery mode & in the root console ran sudo prime-select intel. That got me back to the desktop, but I still suffer from screen tearing & non working nvidia graphics. If I do sudo prime-select nvidia from a terminal or select either of the two nvidia options in nvidia-settings, my laptop will fail to boot upon restart. Here is what my nvidia-settings window looks like this....
I have never done that many Linux installations, because they have always usually just worked straight from the install & I have never had any problems upgrading from the terminal to a new release. Someone please help, because I'd like to get my laptop fully functioning again. Many thanks in advanced for replying & for helping....

Ok so I just wiped xubuntu from my system & switched to Fedora 34 with xfce. After installing Nvidia drivers from rpm-fusion & then rebooting I got stuck at the boot screen Removing the blacklist for nouveau drivers in grub got me back to the desktop. Screen tearing is still present and I can't seem to get Nvidia-drivers fully working. Any help is appreciated....

Members online