Graphics displayed as empty frames and placeholders in Libre Office

JoLJones

Reaction score
Credits
Hi, Ihave been tring to correct a problem I am having when I copy and paste a picture (png or jpeg) into a Libre Office Word Document. It used to show all images in my word documents when I copy and pasted pictures...don't know what happened !!! The picture (graphic) does not show up only empty frames as placeholders. Very aggravating. The Help key said "If the Images and Chart icon on the Tools bar is activated, no graphics are displayed only empty frames and placeholders. But I have yet to find out where that is on the Tools bar ! Thanks.

Ihave been tring to correct a problem I am having when I copy and paste a picture (png or jpeg) into a Libre Office Word Document.
I assume you mean LibreOffice Writer and not (Microsoft) Word. ;)

We may or may not be able to help, but I can ask a few questions to help narrow it down a bit:

1) Where are you copying the images from?
2) What version of LibreOffice?
3) Have you tried the "Insert" menu? Insert > Image instead of copy/paste?

The Help key said "If the Images and Chart icon on the Tools bar is activated, no graphics are displayed only empty frames and placeholders. But I have yet to find out where that is on the Tools bar !
LibreOffice has changed their toolbar or "ribbon" a lot, and it frustrates me too. So what version of LO you are using may make a difference where you find the tools you need. Here is a screenshot of mine, version 7.1.3.2:

lo.png

The little icon (with red arrow pointing to it) is what toggles the top menu on and off. The View menu (circled in red) shows the "Images and Charts" selection... it is a simple checkbox to toggle on or off. My screen capture wouldn't let me capture the open View menu, but "Images and Charts" is near the middle of the open menu. Maybe that will help you solve this.

Others here may kick in some ideas too, but your best source of help is probably LibreOffice themselves and their user community. I have found many solutions on Ask.LibreOffice, and they offer other help as well, starting on this page.

Last edited:
I assume you mean LibreOffice Writer and not (Microsoft) Word. ;)

We may or may not be able to help, but I can ask a few questions to help narrow it down a bit:

1) Where are you copying the images from?
2) What version of LibreOffice?
3) Have you tried the "Insert" menu? Insert > Image instead of copy/paste?

LibreOffice has changed their toolbar or "ribbon" a lot, and it frustrates me too. So what version of LO you are using may make a difference where you find the tools you need. Here is a screenshot of mine, version 7.1.3.2:

View attachment 9486

The little icon (with red arrow pointing to it) is what toggles the top menu on and off. The View menu (circled in red) shows the "Images and Charts" selection... it is a simple checkbox to toggle on or off. My screen capture wouldn't let me capture the open View menu, but "Images and Charts" is near the middle of the open menu. Maybe that will help you solve this.

Others here may kick in some ideas too, but your best source of help is probably LibreOffice themselves and their user community. I have found many solutions on Ask.LibreOffice, and they offer other help as well, starting on this page.
Hi, Ihave been tring to correct a problem I am having when I copy and paste a picture (png or jpeg) into a Libre Office Word Document. It used to show all images in my word documents when I copy and pasted pictures...don't know what happened !!! The picture (graphic) does not show up only empty frames as placeholders. Very aggravating. The Help key said "If the Images and Chart icon on the Tools bar is activated, no graphics are displayed only empty frames and placeholders. But I have yet to find out where that is on the Tools bar ! Thanks.
Stan, Thanks...I went to View dropdown and checked Images and Charts and it worked. However, Libre Help Menu said just the opposite as I stated above. It was unchecked before when I could not see the images that I copied and pasted from things from the internet or even from my camera. Now that I checked (activated it...or maybe by checking it it was deactivated...I am not a whiz at these things, but I am glad I checked the Images and Chart under the View menu. Problem solved. But, thank you so much for your answer...I learned a lot from that. Jo Ann

Glad you've got it going, Jo Ann. I love LibreOffice, but I'm no expert. I often have to scour the internet when I break something or if I want to do something new. Oh, and it's free... I really like free! ;)

I hope you're using LibreOffice running on Linux! :)

Hey, thank you for such a helpful guide, stan! I'm always having trouble with Libre Office at work, cause at home I have Microsoft Office.
Free software is great, for sure, until it has too many updates like this ;)

Members online

Latest posts