STF92

Reaction score
Credits
Slacware64-current (july 2020)
Kernel 5.4.50

Hi: This is from gpm's man page:
Code:
OPERATION
       To select text press the left mouse button and drag the mouse.  To paste text in the same or another console, press the mid‐
       dle button.  The right button is used to extend the selection, like in `xterm'.

Two-button mice use the right button to paste text.
I have a two-button mouse (actually a touchpad, this is a laptop). I am in a text console, say /dev/tty6, and I select an area with the left button. Now I press the right button... and nothing happens. Possible cause?

I add the following, from /var/log/messages:
Code:
[   17.482288] psmouse serio1: synaptics: Your touchpad () says it can support a different bus. If i2c-hid and hid-rmi are not used, you might want to try setting psmouse.synaptics_intertouch to 1 and report this to [email protected].

I know next to nothing about Slackware, I haven’t used it for donkeys years, so I’ll leave that to others here.

I just wanted to let you know that the buttons on touchpads are sometimes configured to perform a middle click if you simultaneously press the left and right buttons!
Might be worth a try!!

hello @STF92 just seen post

I can't abide the touchpad to be honest drives me mad and also not prepared to make mistake on coding using it , but my current, is less current than yours slackware i'm on 5.4.12

i just tried copying using left and right of synaptic touchpad on my cheap hp laptop and it will copy. I also did crtl+ shift + v to paste .So you can try that to get around , if not go for a mouse, but..

this is what I get for :

$-> su -> #

bash-5.0# /etc/rc.d/rc.gpm restart
Restarting gpm...

what do you get ? i'm only asking because on install it asks if you want to enable copy paste, that one way to check if you clicked wrong entry or forgot ?

#mouseconfig

//that will also bring up option , to be honest not exactly sure if that will help with touchpad. probably next step is looking at hardware output via cli

this also might be worth looking at: https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/kcm_touchpad/

Last edited:
gpm is for use in the text consoles, not for GUI terminals. Anyways I write to the guys whose email address is in the message I quoted. Thanks for the slackbuilds link.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts