goto - a bash utility to navigate to aliased directories

iridakos

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everybody,

I published a bash utility named goto. The tool allows users to navigate to directories using an alias that was previously explicitly defined.

Its best feature is the autocomplete functionality making navigation pretty fast.

goto.gif

Example
A user may register a directory with:
Code:
goto --register workdir /mnt/development/a/really/long/directory

Then, after typing this:
Code:
goto <tab>

bash provides a list of all registered aliases allowing autocompletion based on user's input.

You can find the code and installation guides on GitHub: https://github.com/iridakos/goto

Nice - I'd never considered doing something like that. That's a brilliant idea!

I usually set up aliases in my .bashrc to cd into my most commonly used directories.

The code is really clean too.
Makes mine look like a complete mess! XD

[edit]
And it works well in Cygwin on my Windows PC at work!
[/edit]

@JasKinasis Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback "works well in Cygwin on my Windows PC", that's awesome :D

I haven't seen your code yet but note that this is a pretty straightforward and simple script. Your's has more logic than this!

@JasKinasis Thanks! I really appreciate the feedback "works well in Cygwin on my Windows PC", that's awesome :D

It works well on my personal laptop too - running Debian.

Sadly I am forced to use Windows at work. Cygwin allows me to maintain my sanity, by giving me access to all of my favourite Linux tools. I couldn't survive if I had to deal solely with cmd, powershell and Visual Studio. So I try to do as much work as possible in Cygwin! XD

I only use Visual Studio for the debugger and the less said about cmd and powershell - the better!

Members online