Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Whatever works for you!

kibasnowpaw

Reaction score
Credits
i personally a fan of Firefox since every other Browser is based on chrome and i hate chrome.

kc1di

Reaction score
Credits
Of the choices you gave Firefox would be my choice. But i use Vivaldi and it works well for me.
You can get it here.

craigevil

Reaction score
Credits
Firefox, Vivaldi, Chromium, Min, LibreWolf, Palemoon. Are all good choices.

NorthWest

Reaction score
Credits
w3m - if it's only text you're after such as news sites. If you want images, add w3m-img. Gets past some paywalls.
elinks - if you want to dump text with frames.

JasKinasis

Reaction score
Credits
I’ve got Firefox as my main browser. But I do have chrome installed as well. Don’t use that as often though. Should probably remove it at some point!

And +1 to @NorthWest for suggesting w3m. I use w3m for browsing in the terminal a lot.

I have a couple of scripts I wrote called duck and goog, which passes any parameters to the script, as search terms to DuckDuckGo or Google, via w3m.

Comes in handy for quickly looking up errors in the terminal.

If I get a weird error message or warning from a script I’m writing, or from gcc, or make, or any other terminal command - then rather than firing up a GUI browser and risking wasting hours procrastinating online, I can just run one of my scripts and get instant search results right there in the terminal!

w3m has saved my bacon a few times when the GUI wouldn’t load too.
e.g.
The time I accidentally introduced a bug into my heavily customised dwm, causing dwm and X to crash on startup/login.
Then I had to ctrl+alt+f1 into a fallback/login shell from the login-page and use gdb, vim and gcc to diagnose and fix the bug and had to use w3m to look up some technical C related nonsense to make sure I was doing things correctly and wasn’t going to introduce further bugs! Ha ha!

Or the time I accidentally installed the wrong Intel graphics-card drivers and X just seemed to lock up/freeze, resulting in having to use a fallback shell, then I had to use w3m to look up which drivers I should have installed, before installing the correct drivers and rebooting!

So installing a terminal based browser like w3m is highly recommended!

old timer

Reaction score
Credits
If Firefox was no longer around I'd probably browser hop until I found a browser I liked.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I am one of those 'different tasks get different browsers' kinda guys. I've done so for a very long time. It keeps things compartmentalized and helps me keep my focus when I'm performing those tasks that need my full attention.

As far as 'best' goes, folks are already aware of my thoughts on the 'best' of most anything. Use the browser that you prefer and make sure you educate yourself by trying the various browsers until you do find what you most prefer. The onus is on you to take the time to test and trial the software you use and you're the one obligated to make that decision. At best, all we can really do is tell you what works for us. You need to make these personal decisions yourself, and the best way to do that is to be informed.

Here's my article about picking the best Linux distro. For parts of it, you can just swap out distro and insert browser - and it'd clarify my position.

And, by the way, this choice is a good thing. It's good that you have this choice - albeit not as much of a choice as one might think. There's a limited few browser engines (eg webkit, blink, gecko) and the most popular browsers are based on those.

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Members online