Going to try Linux - What version should I get?

B

BristolBrick

I will dual boot Linux when an SSD my dad is getting me arrives, Windows on the HDD, Linux on the SSD. But I have no idea what version to pick. (Or even what there are)

I rambled a bit here. ^ That is cut to the chase.

Hello. I'm 12. (Don't judge me because of that - I have actually never called anyone a word starting with 'F' meaning homosexual)
Anyway, I very much liked windows 7, but I have been reading about windows 10 and thinking it's a horrible thing. (It's ugly as all hell for starters, I don't want to look at that everytime I use a PC) So I'm going to stay with 7 as long as I can. (Is it true Windows 10 does not have 'compatability mode' for anthing earlier than 7? 7 goes back to 95, which is pretty essential for me, most games I play need it)

So I will dual boot Linux when an SSD my dad is getting me arrives, Windows on the HDD, Linux on the SSD. But I have no idea what version to pick. (Or even what there are)

Also, my hardware is pretty old. (Core 2 Duo old - At least I have twin 600watt PSUs)
Proof that old PCs can be fast: My PC. It's virus free and only crashed twice in 4 months!)
As I'm too young to get a job, anyone have tips on getting cash? I am a geek with computers, so doing IT would be nice.

Thanks. What about command line versions?
Edit: Are they like DOS?

Last edited:
Thanks. What about command line versions?
Edit: Are they like DOS?
Linux Mint is not like DOS.

Also, asking which distro (version) is a very opinionated question that does not have a right answer. For example I usually recommend Ubuntu or Ubuntu GNOME. Maybe even Kubuntu..

12? Freek that was a Billion Years ago, before they had PCs

If a gamer I have no advice I'm not a gamer sorry. If you like IT or may like it; THEN... (Don't use GUI or the mouse)

I would start with Mint, unless you are really brave then I would start with Debian Stable; next I would open Terminal and beat the death out of everything. Break it, reinstall it and break it again. No kidding. Mint is a wonderful and easy OS to use. Ctrl && Alt 'T' will open the terminal and learn how to use this. You will pick it up quickly. Second Old Machines are BEST for learning Linux on. Get your Dad to buy two ancient beater PCs for $40 or $50 each only one monitor and keyboard and learn to network them using the Terminal. "IF" you enjoy this kind of stuff you will be well on your way to a career before you are 16. Last bit of OLD MAN advice I would give you is take your time there are millions of free learning sites for Linux on-line find the ones that work for you. Who knows in three years you may be teaching others about Linux.