Gnome-screenshot without the annoying flash + more

rado84

Reaction score
Credits
When I installed linux mint 18.3 for the first time and gnome-screenshot along with it, that program didn't create a flash when taking screenshots. Later on, a "genius" person from the developers of gnome-screenshot decided it was a good idea to torture their users with this crappy flashing thing which many people want to be gone or at least disabled. As it can be seen in the pull requests both on github and gitlab, many people asked for the flash to be made configurable or simply gone. I've asked for that myself and the developers refused. So I took matters "into my own hands", so to speak - I downloaded the source code, removed all crap related to "cheeseflash", built and then installed the new gnome-screenshot into my system. A huge thanks to user petie1 on Kaldata forums for helping me with the build and install commands!
The archive contains a built version of gnome-screenshot version 3.34.0 which DOESN'T create that stupid flash when taking screenshots. The archive also contains text files with instructions by me how to build and install. I can only hope these instructions are clear enough.
The download links are below: from Google Drive, from mediafire and from 4shared.

P.S. If the built version of the archive doesn't work for you, you'll have to rebuild it for your system.
P.S.2. A user from my country suggested that I make it a fork of gnome-screenshot but my programming knowledge ain't that deep and I'm afraid I might screw up something by doing that, so I uploaded it with the same name. If anyone here has the knowledge and wants to make a fork of it, using the provided source code, feel free to start the fork. ;)

December 8th, 2020, new version:

Since some websites lately began refusing to take a file whose file name contains Cyrillic characters and/or spaces, I decided to change the output file name in the source code. In Gnome-Screenshot this is the only way, unfortunately. So now, no matter what display language you're using, you'll be able to upload the screenshot anywhere, and the output file name will look like this:

Code:
Picture_created_11-12-2020_19-54-02.png

December 11th, 2020, new version:
Also, since in the last few days some packages became outdated and 3.34 stopped working in certain situations, I had to modify the latest version 3.38.0. Updated instructions in the archive.

Links for the updated version.

Google Drive
4shared

Last edited:

I don't need gnome-screenshot, I use scrot :)

I don't need gnome-screenshot, I use scrot :)
That's a command line screenshotter. Which under normal circumstances could be useful but you can't use it while gaming. IDK what distro you're using or whether or not you play games on it, but I do and I do it a lot. So scrot won't do any good for me. Not to mention sometimes in a game I need a quick way to make a screenshot before the game moment is gone. So only gnome-screenshot can do the job by simply pressing PrintScreen.

I just use the Steam screenshot key(I think it's F12) to make in Game screenshots ;)

I just use the Steam screenshot key(I think it's F12) to make in Game screenshots ;)
That works only on games from Steam. Not all of my games are from Steam. Some games are so old when Steam didn't even exist, so that's not a solution either. Not to mention some of the games I have on Steam are marked as "Borked" or "Bronze" in the best case whereas I run them out of Steam as "Platinum". Such a game is GRID 2.
Also, if you're not using VSync in your games, you won't see the difference when using F12 on Steam. But if you're playing games that highly depend on Flipping/VSync, pressing F12 will make a notification appear on the screen and for as long as that notification is on the screen, flipping/vsync is disabled and the game runs like a comic book in FPS terms. Such games are ETS2 and ATS. Disabling the notification changes nothing. It won't appear on the screen but for a few seconds after pressing F12, flipping/vsync is disabled. I'm writing them both with a slash because vsync depends on the presence of Cinnamon's flipping. If flipping is disabled - no vsync.

+1 for scrot. It’s been my tool of choice for screenshots.
In any DE/WM - It’s trivial to set up a global keybind to fire it off in the background. It’s fast, lightweight and no annoying flash, or stupid shutter sound effects etc etc.

I'm a Shutter fan. You can use it from the terminal and you can bind it to various keys.

That said, what was this flash that irked you?

Members online

Latest posts