Gnome on Mint

With one of these you should get the the GNOME Desktop Environment.
Code:
ubuntu-gnome-desktop - The Ubuntu desktop system (transitional package)
vanilla-gnome-desktop - Vanilla GNOME metapackage
And you would need to add this PPA to install the Pantheon Desktop on Ubuntu. You can then either use elementary-meta or elementary-desktop, the first one gives the full experience the latter only installs the basic needed packages needed.

Can I install gnome

If you go to the mint repository , type Gnome desktop in the search box, then scroll down, you will find the Gnome desktop package
there is no package for pantheon desktop so I will leave that for someone else to answer

Bwiz

That article is 7 years old and the PPA they refer to there the lastest version only works for Ubuntu/Mint 18, if OP is running Mint 20 then they can use the daily PPA which I linked ;)
Both of them work. The article from LinuxMint.com (which I linked to) installed from this PPA. It is still updated 5 days ago:
The PPA that you linked to is this one:
The difference is, the article from LinuxMint.com is about using the stable version. While the PPA that you linked to is the daily version. It gives a warning there:
ATTENTION!
Do NOT install this PPA if you want a tested running system, this PPA contains the newest and most unstable development of elementary...as you can read there.

Both of them work. The article from LinuxMint.com (which I linked to) installed from this PPA. It is still updated 5 days ago.
The lastest for the Stable PPA is only supported for Ubuntu 18.04/Mint 18, that is why I recommenced the Daily PPA in case the OP is running Mint 20. But you are right about only installing it as test, I thought it would be useful to give the OP a choice in case they really wanted Pantheon really bad on Mint 20 ;)

Last edited:

Staff online