Gnome on Mint

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Credits
With one of these you should get the the GNOME Desktop Environment.
Code:
ubuntu-gnome-desktop - The Ubuntu desktop system (transitional package)
vanilla-gnome-desktop - Vanilla GNOME metapackage
And you would need to add this PPA to install the Pantheon Desktop on Ubuntu. You can then either use elementary-meta or elementary-desktop, the first one gives the full experience the latter only installs the basic needed packages needed.

brickwizard

Credits
Can I install gnome

If you go to the mint repository , type Gnome desktop in the search box, then scroll down, you will find the Gnome desktop package
there is no package for pantheon desktop so I will leave that for someone else to answer

Bwiz

MatsuShimizu

Credits
That article is 7 years old and the PPA they refer to there the lastest version only works for Ubuntu/Mint 18, if OP is running Mint 20 then they can use the daily PPA which I linked ;)
Both of them work. The article from LinuxMint.com (which I linked to) installed from this PPA. It is still updated 5 days ago:
The PPA that you linked to is this one:
The difference is, the article from LinuxMint.com is about using the stable version. While the PPA that you linked to is the daily version. It gives a warning there:
ATTENTION!
Do NOT install this PPA if you want a tested running system, this PPA contains the newest and most unstable development of elementary...as you can read there.

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Credits
Both of them work. The article from LinuxMint.com (which I linked to) installed from this PPA. It is still updated 5 days ago.
The lastest for the Stable PPA is only supported for Ubuntu 18.04/Mint 18, that is why I recommenced the Daily PPA in case the OP is running Mint 20. But you are right about only installing it as test, I thought it would be useful to give the OP a choice in case they really wanted Pantheon really bad on Mint 20 ;)

Last edited:
$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Members online