Gnome 2 Debian Users - Gnome lives on in Mate Desktop!

L

Larry

I figured I'd share my experience since I'm a long time Gnome user,and don't particularly like Gnome 3 or the other desktop environments (with the exception of XFCE being second favorite).

Mate Desktop is actually a fork of Gnome, and it works perfectly with XRDP! The other desktop environments (Unity, Gnome, etc,.) don't work at all with XRDP on Debian 7 / Ubuntu 14.04, and I need XRDP. Remote desktop users will find a familiar home with the Mate Desktop Environment.

I'm linking to screenshot of my desktop, it's got all of Gnome's features, without the bloat that came with the original full install of Gnome 2. It's bare bones (Just the essentials) and you install only what you need after that. No games, no widgets, no nonsense. Fully extendable and incredibly customizable.

Mate Desktop Environment is a winner in my book! :)

Preview Mate Desktop - https://www.larry.life/images/mate-desktop.png

I agree! MATE is great!

(Although I guess it is pronounced "ma-tay" or something like that.)

Cheers!

I agree too!
My desktop is Mate with cairo-dock on Debian Wheezy. It's fast and beauty in my style.

10557488_827238307296296_4639731909510113073_o.png

I have tried most of the desktops (Cinnamon, KDE, Gnome, Xfce, forget one, but it starts with XL or LX and MATE). I settled on MATE.

@cyberjob - I like the bottom of your screen, how did you do that?

I have tried most of the desktops (Cinnamon, KDE, Gnome, Xfce, forget one, but it starts with XL or LX and MATE). I settled on MATE.

You may be thinking of LXDE, which is "Lightweight X11 Desktop Environment." I actually like that one quite well also. It is very fast and responsive. That is Cairo Dock that @cyberjob is using... a very nice program launcher. Here's their website:

http://glx-dock.org/

Yes, that's what it is LXDE- I do like it as it's not full of extra software that I don't use. I like it after MATE. I am going to have a look at the link, I really like the look of it. It will match my wallpaper that I have on my desktop. :)

Yes, that's what it is LXDE- I do like it as it's not full of extra software that I don't use. I like it after MATE. I am going to have a look at the link, I really like the look of it. It will match my wallpaper that I have on my desktop. :)

You can probably install it from your Software Manager or Package Manager too. I haven't used it in awhile, but I think I'll go check it out again too.

I just added it to my source.list and will see if it's synaptic package manager. My Internet connection is unbearably slow right now, so I might have to wait a while before installing it. Here are the instructions for installing on Debian "Wheezy". (you have to scroll down a bit)

It's cairo-dock's chrome-round theme icon set.

10974252_887201154633344_8857825846382697008_o.png

Members online