Gmail will free continue??

G'day Daz - interesting one. My crystal ball is in at the shop for maintenance, so I can't say.

I've been using Gmail maybe since it started, in 2004.

After all that time, I am still only using 1.91 GB of 15 GB allocation, so I have no problems there, but if we had to pay from the get go they wouldn't see me for dust.

Avagudweegend.

Chris

I also have a gmail account, but I stopped using it because gmail locked me out of it when I was trying to access it a number of times from different parts of my country, and when I was overseas. Gmail asked for authentication numbers and text which I didn't have with me, nor think to take on my travels. For gmail I guess it was a matter of security but for me it was a significant inconvenience. Gmail was unreliable for me which led me to stop using it. The gmail account was created in my full name which means that the many other people around the world with the identical name couldn't take it. This was totally fortuitous on my part since I simply wasn't mindful of that sort of thing at the time I opened it. Because the account is in my name, I haven't let it go, but it's not used. Later, I became impressed by the idea that free products online such as gmail make the user of those free products, a product for the advertising industry. So, instead of taking another free email for my personally important correspondence, I bought one which has the security that I can determine myself. It's been totally reliable.

I too have been on Gmail since the beginning, and although it's the account where all the crud goes I have never got past 1gb of storage, as junk is deleted daily, and anything important is transferred to HDD storage,
I also have a mail.com account, a Yahoo account and a proton mail account each for different usages

I note that mail.com make their money by selling users information.

I too have been with gmail since the beginning and have never used more than about 1 gb of space. Who know what google will do they march to their own drum. So have backups in case they close down. :)

Last edited:
I am using close to 10GB of the available 15gb

Is there a good backup app etc ?

I have plenty of storage space

I access gmail via Thunderbird

Just cleaned out my gmail and am using only .3 gbs of available. I'm not too worried about going over their limit though the limit may change at any time. I also access gmail via Tbird.

It should be noted that the article appears to be from 2019.

Also, I use Google Drive as my backup for Linux-Tips. It does daily snapshots (and reserves some snapshots) in a rotation. So, I always have the past 7 days and some static backups.

Stuff is compressed (and text type of data compresses nicely) and I use just under 3 GB of storage space for this. That's like 20% of the max.

On my phone's email address I have a little less, as it backs up pics and doesn't seem to sync them when I delete stuff from the phone itself.

I first heard about this on Puppy Forums by user Wiak..........

Wiak wrote "
There is also the end of G Suite legacy free accounts (I currently have 3 of these...), like Google Apps/Workspaces for Business.
Real pain... I have to move domains I own to new underlying email services now since no way am I paying the per-user monthly changes of Google Workspaces (several users involved).
https://9to5google.com/2022/01/19/g-sui ... e-edition/
They have until May 1 to select a new plan (of which there are several tiers), or Google will do it for them “based on what [they] currently use with [their] G Suite legacy free edition.” However, billing won’t start for at least two months if you were automatically upgraded.
Upgrading from your G Suite legacy free edition to Google Workspace will only take you a few short steps and is not disruptive to your end-users. To support you in this transition, you will have discount options for 12 months after July 1, 2022.
Plans start at $6 /user/month with Business Starter and go up to $18 /user/month. (Very small businesses with just one existing Gmail can also upgrade to Workspace Individual for $9.99/month, but will not get a custom email address.) Google will suspend your automatic Workspace subscription/accounts if you do not enter billing details before July 1, 2022."

Last edited:
and yet the topic at puppy linux is titled "

3rd-party apps to lose Google a/c access on May 30th..."​

which has screw all to do with google remaining free.

However, it does have a great to do with 3rd part apps not having googles required security threshold in order to access googles gmail app. The app does belong to Google, after all.

Thunderbird/Mozilla most certainly need to get out in front of this.

Googles expectation for apps to have some level of security in order to access Googles App, is entirely reasonable.

Mozilla scream loudly that they are all about security/privacy etc etc etc

They need to show that to be the truth by their actions, not just by their mouths.

Members online