gmail & Livemail applications

R

Rene Thomas

Hi everyone,

Has anyone else experienced difficulties using the Ubuntu gmail application or Livemail (for hotmail accounts)?

I am running Ubuntu 14.04 on an unusual Hewlett Packard laptop (the screen is almost square).

When I open these applications I get a message telling me to "Please upgrade your web browser", but I am using an up-to-date version of the Firefox browser.

Gmail doesn't seem to allow me to download file attachments and, annoyingly, the full screen view won't fit onto my laptop screen without scrolling across.

The mail apps on Ubuntu are actually Ubuntu touch apps and do not run in Firefox, chrome, etc. I believe they are using GTK webkit. Unfortunately the apps have not been updated to support some of the newer Gmail or Hotmail features.

Thank you ryanvade.

I will see if I can uninstall the apps and just access email through my web browser the good old-fashioned (!) way.

If using Gmail just use the Browser much easier and access via Gmail website and login.:)

Or better yet you can use Thunderbird which is a high quality email client that will work well with Gmail. Get the following addons: Lightning (Calendar), Provider for Google Calendar (Gmail plug in) and GContactSync (for your contacts).

Or better yet you can use Thunderbird which is a high quality email client that will work well with Gmail. Get the following addons: Lightning (Calendar), Provider for Google Calendar (Gmail plug in) and GContactSync (for your contacts).

Thanks, Jim Laughlin. :)

Actually I know I have this application, because I keep noticing my computer updating it, but I've never got round to using it (or trying to, anyway!)

Members online