Glitch with dial-up on Mint Mate 19 Tara

Vicktoria

Reaction score
Credits
Hello Everyone! I'm delighted to have Linux Mint Mate Tara finally on my Fujitsu. I did succeed in getting wvdial and gppp downloaded and running, yet we have a glitch and I need a software guru. Software is my weakest element and I'm a noobe to Linux having just kicked windows. Wine allows me to use my astrology program on linux, so that is a major issue satisfied. So far it seems to function properly yet I haven't had time to work with it much as yet. I should be finished with current charts this weekend and ready to focus on fine tuning Linux. My issue now is being able to use dial-up to send reports via email. I am writing to you from dial-up via opera on the linux machine, but i had to do some dancing to get the connection. GNOMEppp has the correct info, yet when I attempt connection after booting the machine it says it is dialing, yet there is nothing but dial tone on the line...none of the pinging there should be. I reentered the phone number in Gnomeppp under 'phone numbers and init', that didn't work. Then when I went to terminal and entered install wvdial, the message was it was already installed, yet afterwards the Gnomeppp did successfully connect. Any clue how to fix this glitch anyone? As always I am most grateful for your expertise.

Can you tell us anything about your modem please? Is it inside your computer?

It seems a long time since I used a modem. There were some that worked and some that didn't (mostly called Winmodems). External dial-up modems could be guaranteed to work

Hello Arochester, Thank you for your assistance in this matter. I do hpe to get into the Linux machine starting today. The Modem is an Zoom USB external 56K v.92/v.90, which has software/drivers for Linux specifically although not Mint. I chose the newest ubuntu distro. I'll have to take notes when I boot the Fujitsu Linux machine. I'm on the MS HP machine currently. It does work, yet the GNOMEppp doesn't find the modem until I go to terminal and enter install wvdial at which time it does through what appears to be an install, and then says wvdial is already installed, and then I can get the modem to connect. Must be a Linux glitch is my guess. I thought someone might have dealt with this issue. Sure would like to get some linux system working properly. It has been since the end of February that I've been trying to do this. I'll look at the linux tutorials on youtube when I hit hispeed again. I'd appreciate any text tutorial I might use to research. My dial-up is at 26.4k today.

One thing is that the modem is not hot-pluggable. That is, you can't start the computer and then plug in the modem. The modem has to be plugged in first, the computer started second and not removed...

Thanks Arochester...I noticed that when I had Windows on the Fujitsu. I was in the habit of plugging it in first, yet I'll check that element. Thanks for the terminology input. I'll get off this machine and check the Linux Fujitsu shortly. Thanks again, and any leads are appreciated.

WoHooo Arochester!!! That must have been it. No problems when I plugged in modem before plugging into poweer and booting machine. Thanks so very much.

Next question: Does anyone know how to take off the 'key ring log in' which comes up requesting password when I try to open Opera browser. Doesn't hapen for Mozilla. I don't use log in windows, it is annoying. I appreciate any assistance in fine tuning this Linux system.

Also does anyone know of a dial-up mail client that allows one to preview emails to determine size and choose to download the email or not? I use pegasus on Windows, yet it wouldn't work with WINE, maybe because it is 32-bit.

Glad you got Fuji running! More hardware info from the beginning would have saved time. Best wishes!

Wiley One: Glad to hear from you. I'll intend more details in future.

Arochester: Thanks, I'm looking at them. Haven't found one to allow preview of size and source before download.

Another question: How do I determine the kernel of Mint 19 Tara, so I can install the proper driver for the modem, and just to have useful info for the future.
Also do programs for DOS run on Linux? I found Pegasus Mail in DOS format. Thanks.

Which kernel : open Update Manager...click on View, then Linux Kernels. it should list the used kernel there

I am running LM 18.3 , but it should be similar

. . .
Another question: How do I determine the kernel of Mint 19 Tara, so I can install the proper driver for the modem, and just to have useful info for the future.
Also do programs for DOS run on Linux? I found Pegasus Mail in DOS format. Thanks.
Go to terminal, type in
Code:
uname -a

Thanks everyone for the assistance. I'm still looking for an email client. I can't get pegasus to work even with wine so far. Because dial-up is so slow, I need a client that allows me to view the email's size to decide to dowload or hold till I get to hispeed. Pegasus did this. I'll look at claws, and am reading about the others. Does anyone know what that feature is called that allows you to preview size before download?

I see the Linux Mint kernel version, yet I thought there was an Ubuntu kernel it was built upon.

I downloaded DOSBox. It tried to open pegasus, yet a terminal front end isn't comfortable for me.

Still fine tuning...thanks for the input.

Have you checked this help.ubuntu.com page
or
Just a shot in the dark that I hope helps, Vicktoria.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the assistance. I'm still looking for an email client. I can't get pegasus to work even with wine so far. Because dial-up is so slow, I need a client that allows me to view the email's size to decide to dowload or hold till I get to hispeed. Pegasus did this. I'll look at claws, and am reading about the others. Does anyone know what that feature is called that allows you to preview size before download?

I see the Linux Mint kernel version, yet I thought there was an Ubuntu kernel it was built upon.

I downloaded DOSBox. It tried to open pegasus, yet a terminal front end isn't comfortable for me.

Still fine tuning...thanks for the input.

Dosbox allows you run all those old dos programs including Leisure Suit Larry etc, Wordstar etc....

Finally, the page is downloaded so that I can post! I do hope to learn how to navigate and optimize the use of Linux. I'm studying the Youtube tutorials and the man pages in terminal. It seems the dial-up is working. Seems glitchy. Thunderbird was getting mail, then a setting was changed somehow [I was not playing with Thunderbird] and I had to reenter the proper setting. I'll study more before I bother you all with questions.

DOSBox hasn't worked for Pegasus yet, and I haven't found another email cliet program which allows Selective POP3 email donloads as yet. That really is important on slo dial-up.

I found reference to the base Ubuntu kernel being 18.04 for Mint 19.3. Does anyone know if it is the same for Tara 19?

Thanks Wiley One...I read the thread you indicated and Wizard mentioned the Ubuntu 18.04 kernel is base for all Mint 19 series. Thanks Everyone. Talk later I'm sure.

Last edited:
Hiya Wiley One, I just saw the link to '15 Best Things for Tara'. I'll check that out. I've been learning so much from the YouTube videos recommended. I have the Linux Machine running smoothly so far.

Still on the look out for a email prog that allows 'Selective email downloads' like Pegasus does, or better yet to discover how to make Pegasus work on Linux. I did download it yet it is giving an error message. It says the program has encountered a serious error and needs to close. Says it could be in the program or in wine. Looking at the details suggests to me it is a Wine issue.
I'll be working on that in the next few days. It is almost working, so I suspect there is a way to fix it.

I'm just learning to work with Terminal, and basic Linux understandings. Will update soon. Thanks To All Linux Guru's!

Members online