hi all

stupid guy here again asking another stupid question

i'm trying to add a text box

on the right side of gimp (see pic)
you can select the font

lets say the font i want starts with the letter "N"

i hit the keyboard "N" and it doesn't go the N fonts

it does some freaky stuff, i think its trying to do something on the left side

how to scroll with the keyboard on the fonts?

thx

gimp textbox.png

Maybe try the up and down arrows on the keyboard.

IF that fails grab the status bar on the right with your mouse and pull it down to go through the list of fonts.

It might be a good thing to download the newest manual for Gimp 2.10. Here's the link:

up/down take too long :(

mouse scrolling takes too long :(

as everyone knows i'm the stupidest person on this forum, let me prove to you that i still have that title; i can't find a pdf version of the manual (i see this thing where you have to click on every title to expand it, which takes too long)

1. i would like to print out the manual, where can i find the pdf
(no tar files because i have no idea how to unzip them, more importantly the tar file is 158mb and i don't have that kind of data)

2. that link is for a different version of gimp than what i have (i have 2.10.18 and that manual is for 2.10.34), where can i view manuals for older version of gimp

thx :)

i dare someone to take my title from me

That's what I could find via Google. You decidedly do not want to print the manual. It's very long, which means it'd take a long time and be very expensive for your little home printer.

Find the version of GIMP you're using and download the appropriate manual. The closest is 2.10.38 which should be close enough as it's not a major point release between that version and your version. It's actually near the top of the list.

It is a compressed file and then requires installation. I am not going to install it. The instructions look clear. They're handily in a file called "INSTALL".

There are a number of ways to extract files from a .tar.bz file. Your archive manager, the GUI one, should handle it like a champion. You don't need any fancy terminal commands, just double click on it and it should happily open where you can drag and drop or use extract type of buttons.

Literally, just open it by double clicking on it. Any modern distro with a shard of a GUI should have an archive manager installed. If not, just install 'file-roller' and be on your way.

GIMP is a program where sadly, the user has to click with the left mouse button in a place to be sure of the keyboard focus into that place. Like I'm constantly fine-tuning the current selection rectangle size and position, then I have to click on the current document's tab to be able to choose another command or copy the selection to the clipboard. Because if CTRL+C is made on a text field it thinks (naturally with the way GUI programs are designed since the 1990's) the user wants to copy the selected text from there. Earlier releases of GIMP v2.10 used to draw a rectangular dotted line around the tab of the document to help the user notice that has the keyboard focus but as of release 34 this is not the case.

Because the program is so complex, and cannot assume what the user really wants out of the input, he/she has to help it out, has to be sure what to do inside some given text field before his/her expected behavior.

I am not a graphics person. I may have run GIMP once, but can't be sure. GIMP has been around for a long time. In one quick search, I learned that there are many books about GIMP, in addition to the PDF user manual:

https://www.gimp.org/books/

Among the books on that list is one titled "GIMP for Absolute Beginners". There are many others. Searching a well-known big online bookstore yielded a page full of various books about GIMP, too. I cannot vouch for any of them myself.

I am a book person. They are very portable and do not require any accessories other than light (... and ... yeah ... reading glasses for some of them ... ouch!).

Hint for book searchers:
The book by Mark Zupan is not about software or anything related.

I use three main graphics apps - and graphic design has been a passion of mine for over 40 years.

• G.I.M.P
  • Photoshop CS2, running under WINE (I snagged my copy during the short-lived free-for-all following the switch-off of the CS2 activation servers in early 2015)
  • Mooi Tech's PhotoScape 3.7, also running under WINE (been using this one like, forever)

It amuses me the number of folks that reckon the GIMP is TOO different from Photoshop, and they "can't get used to it" (whinge, whinge, bleat, bleat, etc). :rolleyes: They're both raster graphics editors, and while the way they do things might be different, they essentially perform exactly the same set of operations.

I've been using the pair of them alongside each other for the best part of a decade, and have got SO used to their individual quirks & foibles that I can switch from one to the other, mid-project, and carry on where I left off without missing a beat.

There's probably NOT many who can make that claim.

-------------------------------------------

As for PhotoScape, I got so handy with it under XP, I was delighted to find it was at least 90% functional when I first made the switch to Linux. In the intervening years, WINE has improved to the point where it's now 100% functional, and will behave the same as though running natively under Windows itself. This is the one I use to design all my desktop backgrounds, including my own custom 'docks'.

The GIMP is where my siggy 'banner' got put together, embedding a GIF within a PNG file. There's several good tutorials online for how to do this....

Mike. ;)

Members online

Latest posts