Gigabyte Monitor and Current Radeon 7750 Cape Verde Pro {Solved}

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
Ok, I'm looking for a new monitor.
The Vizio 27 inch T.V. works but there are performance issues during fresh installations.

This Gigabyte G27F 27" Full HD 1920 x 1080 165Hz Native Gaming is what I'm looking at.

Here's links/specs to my GPU:

That monitor has 2 HDMI ports but they are 2.0 and my Radeon 7750 Cape Verde Pro has 1 HDMI 1.4a.

Will a HDMI 2.0 cable work the HDMI 1.4a on the GPU?

Last edited:

Ok, I had a live chat with a Micro Center rep and he confirmed that any HDMI cable that is 2.0 is backwards compatible with any GPU as long as the GPU has an HDMI port.

If it doesn't snow to heavy I may go pick it up tomorrow.:)

This Gigabyte monitor ROCKS!
Colors are true, clear and very sharp. The settings are fairly easy to manage through.
Was a bit of a tug of war to get the monitor out of the box and the husky knife came in handy.

Monitor.jpg

Gimp.png

Red Fox.png

The monitor was on sale for $179.99. Every bit worth it.
Much better than the old Vizio T.V. by far.

Awesome! One of my monitors is also a Gigabyte monitor, I am quite happy with it!

The font is really small in FF and through out the system so I'm not sure if I need to adjust the settings in XFCE or go into the settings on the monitor.

The font is really small in FF and through out the system so I'm not sure if I need to adjust the settings in XFCE or go into the settings on the monitor.
What resolution did your old monitor have?

Old res was 1366 x 768-
Holy smokes!! Yeah it's normal then that everything looks smaller because you have a higher resolution, you could lower your resolution to make things look bigger but that would be a waste of your monitor. Some desktop environments have support for scaling but I'm not sure if Xfce supports that, you would have to look in the display setting somewhere. I went from 1440p to 4k on the monitor which I switched to my Gigabyte monitor, it was also an adjustment but I quite like it now.

Found it. It was in the settings mgr under font.
FF pages are good except this site. For some reason the font is still small:-
Font.png

FF pages are good except this site.

You can try pressing CTRL and the + button. (Obviously CTRL and the - button goes the opposite direction.)

You can try pressing CTRL and the + button. (Obviously CTRL and the - button goes the opposite direction.)
Holding down CTRL and scrolling the mouse worked, thanks:-
Lack of sleep clouds the simple thinking for sure! LOL!

Looking forward to seeing how Steam games look on this new monitor!

Holding down CTRL and scrolling the mouse worked, thanks:-
Lack of sleep clouds the simple thinking for sure! LOL!

Looking forward to seeing how Steam games look on this new monitor!

Yup, they do the same thing. From a couple of recent replies, I may be a bit unique in how much I use the keyboard instead of the mouse. Even in a GUI, I use the keyboard for all sorts of stuff. It's faster (or at least easier) for me than it'd be to move my hand off the keyboard, move the mouse's scroll wheel, and then find the home row again with the right hand. I suppose it's also probable that I remain heavily influenced by the first devices I used, where a mouse wasn't actually the norm.

Yup, they do the same thing. From a couple of recent replies, I may be a bit unique in how much I use the keyboard instead of the mouse. Even in a GUI, I use the keyboard for all sorts of stuff. It's faster (or at least easier) for me than it'd be to move my hand off the keyboard, move the mouse's scroll wheel, and then find the home row again with the right hand. I suppose it's also probable that I remain heavily influenced by the first devices I used, where a mouse wasn't actually the norm.
I get it:-
Spending a lot of time in the terminal I'll use the keyboard too before I reach for the mouse.

Tried voice recognition I think it was called (Simon for Linux) years ago hoping I would be able to eliminate using the keyboard and mouse so much. Perhaps I'll pursue it again and see if I can get it to work.

Do you have a gaming monitor as well?

Do you have a gaming monitor as well?

I suppose you could call it that. It would also depend on where I am in the house, as I have multiple devices. I don't have very large monitors, but I do sometimes watch streaming video on the television.

For example, in my study I have a 34" curved Acer monitor and two 27" regular monitors - one on each side. In my studio, I only have like a 27" monitor (I'm guessing) and like a 23" monitor in portrait mode (for reading music more easily).

I'm pretty good at getting rid of old hardware, but monitors seem to stick around. I have to have a half dozen of 'em sitting in my basement that need to be properly disposed of. They're good enough to get donated to a thrift store, but I've not made it that far.

I suppose you could call it that. It would also depend on where I am in the house, as I have multiple devices. I don't have very large monitors, but I do sometimes watch streaming video on the television.

For example, in my study I have a 34" curved Acer monitor and two 27" regular monitors - one on each side. In my studio, I only have like a 27" monitor (I'm guessing) and like a 23" monitor in portrait mode (for reading music more easily).

I'm pretty good at getting rid of old hardware, but monitors seem to stick around. I have to have a half dozen of 'em sitting in my basement that need to be properly disposed of. They're good enough to get donated to a thrift store, but I've not made it that far.
With the curved Acer that you have, when you look to the far right or the far left of the monitor does the clarity and the clearness fade or seem not as sharp?

With the curved Acer that you have, when you look to the far right or the far left of the monitor does the clarity and the clearness fade or seem not as sharp?

Nope. It's just as crisp all the way across the monitor. Nothing appears misshapen, nothing appears fuzzy, nothing appears to change resolution, etc... It's pretty crisp and clear all the way across.

I only have real curved monitor experience with this one specific monitor. I can't speak about any others. This being Acer, I'd expect this level of consistency across their entire curved monitor product line.

Nope. It's just as crisp all the way across the monitor. Nothing appears misshapen, nothing appears fuzzy, nothing appears to change resolution, etc... It's pretty crisp and clear all the way across.

I only have real curved monitor experience with this one specific monitor. I can't speak about any others. This being Acer, I'd expect this level of consistency across their entire curved monitor product line.
Thanks for the information. I'm considering a curved monitor for the future.

A quick check says Acer does call it a 'gaming' monitor. So, there's that... (I do not play games, not even solitaire.)

Members online