Getting started with a web server the best way (with userdir support)?

Irthawn

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
I have a Debian 9 server doing nothing as of right now, and want to get a small blog, maybe a forum and a few other bits and pieces running.

I'd need a way therefore of knowing how to configure Apache properly so that it can be run securely (meaning I don't have to run SFTP as root and/or CHOWN everything to www-data:www-data), along with allowing access to the following things:

* PHP
* MariaDB (with phpMyAdmin properly set up)
* .htaccess support
* FTP access
* User directory support that securely works, without having to resort to odd hacks like chrooting to home directory and forcing SFTP only on the user (I want to host a few small things for others in directories, much like the old days) :p
* Node.JS
* Python 3
* Let's Encrypt

I don't want to have to compromise security or expose my own files to the other people on the server users, so yeah... also, I'm aware for PHP, you need to use the Sury packages and enable apt-transport-https. :)

I'm generally concerned about the htaccess support, user privacy and safety of keeping the user jailed. Note I do not intend to keep logs either that could potentially invade privacy (even if it did I likely wouldn't even read any of them ever)

Will the cache server drastically mess up a forum or basically anything user-generated (without some .htaccess rule to fix it)?

Also, the guide doesn't contain much related to the user directory things, so I'll probably just not do that at all... although rereading it the VSFTPD stuff does have included for virtual users.

Latest posts