Getting started on linux path...

cowboy

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, newbie here.

Looking to rid myself of windows, and move to a Linux machine.
So I'm looking to get basic info. on the process , the ups / downs of it etc.

I am familiar, with UNIX based AIX, (lived by it at IBM), so somewhat familiar .

Basically looking into the process, where/what type of machines , hardware to get etc and then getting
it up and running.

I'll browse around and get educated and ask questions as they come up.

Thanks

Basically looking into the process, where/what type of machines , hardware to get etc and then getting
it up and running.
Hi @cowboy and welcome to the forum. Most distros will run just fine in a wide variety of hardware configurations, so I think what you should focus on first is what you'll be doing in that machine and depending on that, you could start looking at what Linux distros might work better for the tasks you'll be performing. I personally think Debian and some Debian-based distros e.g, Q4OS, MX-Linux, antiX, SolydXK, would be a good starting point for new users you might want to look at.

I am familiar, with UNIX based AIX, (lived by it at IBM), so somewhat familiar .

it up and running.
Welcome to Linux.org.

A good read.

Get a few usb sticks/thumb drives....4gb is ok, 8gb is good

'Burn" a few iso onto those usb sticks

Alter the boot order on your pc so it boots to the usb stick

you will then be running whatever distro you have chosen in "Live" mode.

How it reacts etc etc etc in Live mode is very close to how it will react etc etc when it is actually installed.

There will be a difference in speed.....slight slower in live mode, because it runs from ram, not from the hard drive.

When it is actually installed it runs on the hard drive.

If you need showing anything about this, just yell out...we will hear you.

Sounds like a plan. Welcome @cowboy :)

I'll save my input until you have specific questions, gotta pace myself.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Before we recommend you any distro, what do you intend to use your machine for? Some are already set up for a certain purpose, e.g. Fedora is out of the box set up for development and virtualization.

Hello, newbie here.

it up and running.

Thanks
There's no SMIT! =:)

keith

G'day Keith, and Welcome to linux.org

ok....I'll bite......what does "There's no SMIT! = :)" mean ?

G'day Keith, and Welcome to linux.org

ok....I'll bite......what does "There's no SMIT! = :)" mean ?

Inside joke....AIX has a menu driven system for doing a lot of system tasks called System Management Interface Tool or SMIT for short. Anybody who's done any OS level work with AIX is well familiar with it.....

keith

Members online