Getting Started - Mmm - yes the essence of it all.

bobfunduro

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all.

A bit of history. I've been trying to get onto the Linux wagon for some two years off and on. Believe me I've spent a lot of time on the issue.

I've tried installing Linux in 3 different guises (Mint in particular) on 3 different laptops using HDD's and SSD's.

I succeeded once - don't know how. I also, in desperation, paid my local computer shop 90 Euros to get it loaded.

It appears to me (i've done some computer courses - hardware and software) that a fundamental stumbling block is "Getting Started".

I've had all the usual banter back on the Mint forum and it has to be said, some pretty useful determined help from individuals. All to no avail.

I also said that I wonder how many give up at this first hurdle? I have got to know a few in my circle of friends. " Love to use it, desperately want to ditch W10, but it's too complicated"

SO - imagine my complete surprise when I bought a Raspberry PI to help my godson get into computing - I inserted the NOOBS SD Card and WOWWW! it worked first time!

Well, Maybe that's the route I'm going to use to get away from Microsoft and it's tentacles.

But - literally the bottom line is - how strange is it that with all the knowledge and expertise there is out there, when it comes down to "Getting Started" :

the most successful solution is to buy a Raspberry PI !!

Hi Bob, and welcome to the site! The Pi is a great way to jump into Linux, as you have found. But I don't think you're comparing apples to apples. With the Pi, you are not still trying to cling to Windows. That is one of the greatest problems for new Linux users... they are too afraid to jump in with both feet and want to dual-boot Win/Linux, and dual booting is indeed a pain sometimes, especially with modern UEFI based computers.

If you took a Linux Mint install DVD or USB, and allowed it to do a full clean installation using the entire hard drive (with MBR/BIOS or GPT/UEFI)... you would only answer a few questions, and it would usually boot and run flawlessly, just as you experienced on the Pi. I picked Mint for a couple of reasons... 1) because you did, and 2) because it is one of the distros that can install without any changes required in BIOS/UEFI setup (like enabling Legacy Mode, or disable Secure Boot... some other distros still need these steps). Mint is not alone, though... Ubuntu, Fedora, openSUSE, and probably some others are advanced enough for this now.

Also remember that the Pi is using an operating system that has been specially developed and tweaked for the Pi... while Mint and the others must have great flexibility to install in untold different configurations of laptops and desktops from dozens of manufacturers. You can see how wildly different the scenarios are between the Pi and typical Linux installs.

There is one caveat right now about Mint... their latest version 19 has an issue that they are aware of and will fix soon. The only workaround needed is that you do not connect to the Internet when doing the install. But after the install, the Internet works normally.

But no matter how you found your way to Linux, we're glad to have you aboard! And we'll do our best to help you if you have any questions.

Cheers

Hi Atanere

My attempts to load Linux have been on old and recently used laptops using HDD's, SD Cards and SSD's and I kept my W10 separate since it had all my current data and I needed it to access the web to get info on the Linux info.

I did try a dual boot with W10 but as a real and absolute last resort as I could see everything going down the tubes. Didn't work.

Everyone on the forums tell me how easy a clean install is, but that has definitely not been my experience. There appears to be a whole science on loading Linux, dependent on so many hardware variables. If I had to make a guess I'd say the crux of the installation problem comes down to the boot medium i.e. type of HDD/SDD and it's properties.

My next move is to get a 12/15 inch monitor and run a PI to see if it fits my everyday needs, which are quite simple.

Regards

My next move is to get a 12/15 inch monitor and run a PI to see if it fits my everyday needs, which are quite simple.
Have you learned about "remote desktop" with the Pi? You can use a smartphone or tablet (via wifi) to be your monitor and keyboard/mouse. Just another option... I thought it was pretty neat.

I can't explain your bad experiences installing Linux, but I have done hundreds of installs on both new, but mostly on old computers. Granted, I'm not quite a newbie anymore, but only when UEFI was first coming into play did I run into a lot of frustration. But everything is evolving, and that is a good thing.... UEFI is a good thing too.

Cheers

Aha! Remote connection - another success!

I decided that perhaps I could remote control the Rpi via my W10 (spit) laptop, so that I can have a bigger screen. I've searched around the net for instruction on how to accomplish that and the responses were in keeping with the Linux "complicated" template! All sorts of weird seemingly routes to take.

Then the penny dropped - why not use Teamviewer that I had already installed on the W10 (spit) laptop?

Hey Presto - works a dream and dead easy to set up. Almost to good to be true............................I've Linux loaded first attempt with Noobs and remote access via Teamviewer - mmmmm - this is to good to be true and so simple!

To think that I almost spent £1000+ on a Mac laptop in desperation to ditch W10 (spit)

My next mission impossible is to see if Rpi will accomplish the tasks I use the W10 (spit) for.I'm confident it will.

So far - Thank you Raspberry Pi.

Staff online

Members online