Getting SPACE ENGINEERS working on Linux.

BigBadBeef

Reaction score
Credits
There is a guide available for getting Space Engineers working on Linux. The guide goes as follows:
  1. Reverting to proton 5.0 for the initial installation.
  2. Run "protontricks 244850 --force dotnet48"
  3. Apply this patch: https://github.com/Linux74656/SpaceEngineersLinuxPatches
  4. Switch back to proton 6.3.8
While I am familiar with steps 1, 3 & 4, I don't know what exactly they mean by "Run protontricks", is this some configuration utility? If that is the case, how it is supposed to be configured? How do I even "run" it?

It's a tool you can install.
It might be in your distribution's repository otherwise you can install it as flatpak, through pip, or from source. What distribution are you running on your system?
Installing it in and of itself is not a problem. If protontricks are anything resembling winetricks, then running it in and of itself may not be enough. I would probably need to configure it, but in what way? Do I run it as win7? Win10? Should I install additional dependencies? That is the real question Or does the guide just want me to run it once and then close it? What would that achieve?

PoP!_OS, the most recent version.

I've never needed to use it but from reading the github project "command-line section" it looks like you only need to run this and don't need to configure it.
Code:
protontricks 244850 --force dotnet48
The number being the appid and the part after that being the action.
# Find your game's App ID by searching for it
protontricks -s <GAME NAME>

# Run winetricks for the game.
# Any parameters in <ACTIONS> are passed directly to Winetricks.
# Parameters specific to Protontricks need to be placed *before* <APPID>.
protontricks <APPID> <ACTIONS>

# Run a custom command within game's installation directory
protontricks -c <COMMAND> <APPID>

# Run the Protontricks GUI
protontricks --gui

# Print the Protontricks help message
protontricks --help

So it wants me to... force it to install dotnet48 as a dependency?

Confession:

For the first few posts in this thread, I didn't realize it was about gaming.

I was dreadfully confused, mostly about what *exactly* is a 'space engineer'? That'd be a really generic title.

Eventually I figured out that it was about gaming. I was still pretty confused, as I am not a gamer, but I was significantly less confused than I had been.

Confession:

For the first few posts in this thread, I didn't realize it was about gaming.

I was dreadfully confused, mostly about what *exactly* is a 'space engineer'? That'd be a really generic title.

Eventually I figured out that it was about gaming. I was still pretty confused, as I am not a gamer, but I was significantly less confused than I had been.

Unlike your usual potato keyboard masher game, every artificial structure and vehicle you see was built by players, piece by piece, it makes minecraft look like a caveman simulator in comparison, and unlike minecraft, you are required to use that spungee thing inside your head for something other than a coffee filter since the level of physics in the game are such that a dum-dum or a kid has no business playing this game. It even attracts people of an "intelectual" nature that usually don't resort to playing games.

I even had a talk with an ESA engineer who said he was impressed by just how well it approximates real world physics.

Oh, and, it was made by the Czech!

Not all structures are made by players as there are generated structures. And while I don't know much about gravity or gravity simulations I would be forced to guess that KSP would simulate gravity more realistic. Without mods, there is no aerodynamic simulation and the thrust is not very realistic as you could have a *(weight 50 blocks away and have thrusters still lift it straight up).

*I will have to check this out when I get home.

Last edited:
Unlike your usual potato keyboard masher game,

That actually sounds like it'd be interesting. KSP also sounds like fun. Alas, I'll never dedicate the time to play either. I am on the cusp of buying a full-on race simulator. I was only able to get one decent track day last year and I'm getting older. so I have a couple of companies trying to sell me a sim - one of which is built into a real F1 monocoque from the cockpit forward. So, at that point I guess I'd be a gamer again. I kinda gave up on gaming after Fallout 2. No, no kinda about it...

So here is what I did in the past few days:
- Used the terminal command WINEPREFIX="my/steam/directory/here/pfx" winetricks --force -q dotnet48 vcrun2015 faudio d3dcompiler_47. That threw out a small mountain of errors, but it finished the procedure.
That got the game stabilized, but some sounds were missing and occasional crashes happened when the game tried to play the next music track.
Used "DXVK_HUD=full PULSE_LATENCY_MSEC=60 -skipintro" Launch option to get rid of the worst audio trouble.
And it was fine for a couple of days...
Now official Proton 7.0 is out and all my troubles are pretty much over. Only minor bugs remained. Now its a smooth experience that runs faster than on windows.
That actually sounds like it'd be interesting. KSP also sounds like fun. Alas, I'll never dedicate the time to play either. I am on the cusp of buying a full-on race simulator. I was only able to get one decent track day last year and I'm getting older. so I have a couple of companies trying to sell me a sim - one of which is built into a real F1 monocoque from the cockpit forward. So, at that point I guess I'd be a gamer again. I kinda gave up on gaming after Fallout 2. No, no kinda about it...
I also gave up on AAA gaming. Its just so handholdey, its all about fancy graphics and bad stories and handholdey gameplay. Like farting into a bag, closing it off and they spend hours touching said bag which gets you nowhere.
Yea thrust seems to be unrealistic.
The game was made under assumed technological developments of a few decades into the future. Its not perfect, but its the closest thing there is, with simulation realism still being limited even by modern hardware. KSP is made at the level of today's technology, maybe even the short immediate future, but cartoonicized.

Members online

Latest posts