Getting set up with a desktop?

cowboy

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, I'm looking to get set up with a Linux machine and I'm just going through some of the basics to get an understanding of it all.

Couple of questions; Desktop

I've heard mentioned and seen online where people say just grab an older machine that you're not using and install Linux on that and in some cases they work better than newer machines would.
Can somebody explain if that's true and why so?.

Also,
is it possible to buy a desktop without any software installed ie Windows etc.?

Are there certain types of parameters that I should get, certain types of processors other hardware software issues that would be more desirable or less?

First paragraph the core of linux is the kernel that is in constant development , then there are addtional propriatory drivers .

if you get a bleeding edge machine with bleeding edge hardware its possible, the support for the hardware in the kernel and other software "hasn't caught up"

2nd yes

Broadly speaking there is good support for hardware - i got a cheap Hp laptop :

description: Notebook
product: HP Laptop 14-cm0xxx (6ZJ47EA#ABU)
vendor: HP
version: Chassis Version
serial: 5CG9325GD1

Slackware current worked fine and i'm now running Arch . i installed EndeavourOS onto kids/wifes Hp stream also no problem. my cpu is amd

1) There are a few avenue's you can research Linux compatability sites
2) Put 1-5 likely Linux live os candidates onto a usb stick; if they work well then they will also work very well if installed. Thats because although the operating system is on the usb , it still uses the hardware (the laptop ortower) that the usb is attached to

ps welcome to site !

Last edited:
It is possible to buy some machines with no OS installed I believe Dell will sell some of it's line that way if desired. Other most likely will also A good site to look at is here. To begin learning Linux. Read the getting start one for advise on different distributions.

Another way to get a machine w/o an os is build your own.
That is if you're up to the task.

The last 2 computers that I built with my best mate didn't have an os because we installed brand new hard drives and an M2 drive.

Yes, it is true that you can install Linux on an old pc. Why is that true you wanted to know:
Because the Linux developers have designed Linux os that work with older machines.;)
-:-MX Linux and Anti-X Linux are two examples:-

It does depends on how old the hardware is. More than 10 year old hardware might not be supported in the kernel.

If you're new to Linux you may not want to purchase a Nvidia GPU.
It can be difficult to get Nvidia cards to play nice with Linux.

Both of my gaming builds have Radeon GPU's and Linux run's great on those boxes.

It's been my experience running Linux for 13 years that an Intel CPU or an AMD CPU both work.

My first concern and question about the older versus new machines was just a trivia question, I was just curious why some people would say they might work a little better?? In any case we can move on.

My main usage , surfing the web social Media stuff YouTube etc, very typical day-to-day stuff.
Note, I do not do gaming so that's not a concern.
For the most part the biggest usage is going to be collecting data and crunching it whether it's books, articles, research papers, ... I tend to collect a lot of that and then crunch it sort through it manipulate it etc

Again this is for a desktop.
I'm not necessarily opposed to buying something off the rack probably the cheapest way to go, which would come with Windows.

So I'll ask this, is there a way to get every Germ and cell of Windows off a computer once it's installed?
I.e. without any trace of it at all.

So I'll ask this, is there a way to get every Germ and cell of Windows off a computer once it's installed?
I.e. without any trace of it at all.
Yep Install Linux and allow the Distro to use the whole disc windows will be completely gone at the end of the process. You could also us a live copy of gparted to format the drives first but that is not needed.

Last edited:
Depending on how much RAM you have on your desktop (you didn't say what make and model) I recommend Linux Mint since you are new to Linux.

It only takes about 15 minutes to install it.

Linux doesn't play well sometimes with Nvidia graphic's cards and it can also be hard to find and get the Linux driver for Nvidia installed....something to keep in mind.

As Alexzee said Linux Mint is a good way to start. And to add to what he said about drivers, realtek wifi cards can be problematic also. Try to stick to Intel if possible. Good Luck

Last edited:
and to add some Bluetooth devices also cause problems,

Mint is fairly simple once you get use to it but I recommend you download and try 4 or 5 different builds with different desktops to see which YOU like the best as at the end of the day you will be using it

Bwiz

Depending on how much RAM you have on your desktop (you didn't say what make and model) I recommend Linux Mint since you are new to Linux.

It only takes about 15 minutes to install it.

Linux doesn't play well sometimes with Nvidia graphic's cards and it can also be hard to find and get the Linux driver for Nvidia installed....something to keep in mind.

Still looking into this. Been busy..

Attachments

• Win 7.PNG
    Win 7.PNG
    16.4 KB · Views: 200
an I3 processor and 4gb ram is sufficient to run any distribution of linux you fancy

Last edited:
I'm goint to try a test run,
I have ubuntu-21.10-desktop-amd64.iso on a thumb drive.

Been told that I can start up holding F8, and it will give me the option to
use ubuntu as the OS.

can you tell me what the steps would be...
and how to tell if it works or not.

I'm goint to try a test run,
I have ubuntu-21.10-desktop-amd64.iso on a thumb drive.

Been told that I can start up holding F8, and it will give me the option to
use ubuntu as the OS.

can you tell me what the steps would be...
and how to tell if it works or not.
I would go with ubuntu 22.04 if it were me because 21.10 will be end of life in July which doesn't give you much time with it.

I did give that info. see 5 posts prior.

p.s. just want to get a quick look/see at ubuntu v. mint
for a day or so to compare.

for a day or so to compare.
you have 3 options
1] run Ubuntu "live" from the installation medium,
2] run Ubuntu inside Mint using a virtual machine
3] install Ubuntu alongside Mint
4] clean installation of Ubuntu, wiping out mint

you will never get rid of windows quick start, all you can do is disable it in the main bios settings

Members online

Latest posts