Getting hardware information from Linux to help Forum Helpers

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
surprising buddha's link does not mention inxi, it is either installed or available across the Families (and no reflection on buddha :) )

we ask for its output all the time

a tip for the viewers -

inxi -Fxs will give YOU a lot you can use, store it in a text file. it show MAC addresses for connections

inxi -Fxz will filter out the MAC for showing to people such as us

enjoy your linux

wiz

Fanboi

Credits
One other important tool: lsmod.
Knowing what modules are loaded (or not loaded) does very well in diagnosing hardware issues {and even software problems like sound loopback not working). Using grep on the output is very useful if you know what to look for.

And just a mention of more tools:

lsusb (-t option is useful) as some boards' usb ports are actually hubs of a single port.

Either dmesg with grep/head/tail (depending on what info you need). You'll see a lot about hardware failing, device status on startup, hotplugging, etc.

Yeah, but you can't Copy and Paste from there very easily..... :)
True in most cases, but some of the more modern firmwares can save screenshots to a FAT/FAT32 flashdrive. My X570 board does, for example. Things have come a long way in about 10 years.
However, I agree with you that its use is limited since the BIOS only has basic info that you can get from the system. Its only use is components it might "see" that the OS may not, or may "see" as a generic pnp device.

Fanboi

Credits
surprising buddha's link does not mention inxi, it is either installed or available across the Families (and no reflection on buddha :) )

we ask for its output all the time
Thumbs up! Most forums ask for this output in spoiler tags or as a text attachment.

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Credits
@Fanboi , reading your Posts here has prompted me to modify the original Thread Title, from ending with "forum staff" to "Forum Helpers". I know the OP, Ryan would not mind.

I am not sure of the situation back in 2014, but the last 4 years I have been here, we have seen a situation develop whereby we have maybe to 10 times as many regular, knowledgeable Members helping wherever they can, in addition to Staff, and I think the change in Title reflects that.

Cheers for the input, and consider swinging over to Member Introductions and telling us a little of the @Fanboi story. Also there is a survey run by @KGIII here on how long you have been using Linux

Cheers, and thanks for the input

Wizard

Fanboi

Credits
Thanks @wizardfromoz, I didn't know there was an introduction thread. I shall, briefly post my life, death, and resurrection story then XD.

kc1di

Credits
Inxi in most distros will give you a nice readout of hardware and conditions on machine.
In Ubuntu you'll have to install it. see here for details. inxi

Nik-Ken-Bah

Credits
@wizardfromoz

"hardinfo

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install hardinfo
... this one resembles Windows msinfo32 device summary,"

Thanks for that input line as it is now done and the application is very informative. :)
I already have the Psensor installed as it helps me monitor CPU temp especially though Summer.

Nik-Ken-Bah

Credits
Inxi in most distros will give you a nice readout of hardware and conditions on machine.
In Ubuntu you'll have to install it. see here for details. inxi
Thanks for that link :cool: and had a quick gander at it and it is something to just keep well back in me scone.

brickwizard

Credits
Mint and other Ubuntu based distros come with inxi
in a terminal put inxi -Fnx [for personal use] or inxi -Fnxz [for copy and paste to forums] adding z removes certain what could be called sensitive information

Nik-Ken-Bah

Credits
Mint and other Ubuntu based distros come with inxi
Thank you appreciated though I just brought up the terminal and entered inxi -Fnx and this is what it come up with
INXI -40.png

So what am I doing wrong Bro?
But I know now what I did wrong now:eek: I forgot to put a space between the i and the dash so some mothers do hav'em. :D

Last edited:
$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Latest posts