Getting AV Linux onto my new HP Laptop

Hello,

Tried MX Linux but it got super complicated with installation asking to do partitions which I think I got right only to get a message right at the end that there was a problem with grub boot.

So then I tried Ubuntu Studio which installed fine and was much simpler. However, the button issue came back so it's a linux problem. I have spent too much time on this and will take the laptop to an expert tomorrow.

I am set on Ubuntu Studio. It's well supported and has all the audio programs I would like to explore and, most importantly, the DAW I use is designed for Ubuntu.

I will report back. If need be, I'll buy a machine that can run Ubuntu Studio without these power button issues. Anyway, I will see what the computer guy says and report back. It's not a hardware/firmware issue though clearly.

Ok, I've been to see 2 computer repair guys and they were at a loss to resolve this. It's not a hardware problem. Linux is not reading the hardware shutdown button right. I'll start a new thread to see if there is some way to resolve this. Bitterly disappointed as it is too late to return this laptop and get a refund. I could always install Windows but really don't want to do that.

Staff online

Members online