Getting A New Internet Service Provider

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
I currently have internet service with Xfinity.

The rep that signed me up for a 1 year contract advised me to come into the store before the contract ends so I could negotiate another deal before the 1 year contract ends.

I've learned that after 1 year they jack up the price much higher for the next year.
I don't want to get ripped off for internet service when I could pay less with another provider.

After looking for other provider it's pretty clear that COMCAST/Xfinity has control over the service for my area.

Anyone have any other ideas or stratagies I could try?

Is there a way to get around this?

ISP contracts where I am from work differently here. The first year is binding, after the first year you can choose to stay as long as you want and when you want to switch ISP you can cancel 1 month ahead of time. So someone from the same country as you will be able to give better advice and ideas.

Unfortunately where I'm at Xfinity requires a fee for early termination.

After some reading I found out I'd have to go 90 days without service to get the same reasonable price I have now.

This reminds me of a trap and I don't think taking the bait is a good thing.

If you're open to it, DSL is on copper lines and is actually (in most jurisdictions) quite heavily regulated with consumer protections. So, changing DSL providers is generally a pretty trivial affair.

Cable is older but hasn't been used for connectivity for all that long, compared to copper. So, it hasn't had anti-trust legislation provide consumer protections. Fiber is also fairly new and has no such protections. DSL is carried on the same lines as telephony communications and thus has quite a bit of protection - at least here in the US. Many of them came into play when antitrust broke up Ma Bell and are a fallout from that.

If you're open to it, DSL is on copper lines and is actually (in most jurisdictions) quite heavily regulated with consumer protections. So, changing DSL providers is generally a pretty trivial affair.

Cable is older but hasn't been used for connectivity for all that long, compared to copper. So, it hasn't had anti-trust legislation provide consumer protections. Fiber is also fairly new and has no such protections. DSL is carried on the same lines as telephony communications and thus has quite a bit of protection - at least here in the US. Many of them came into play when antitrust broke up Ma Bell and are a fallout from that.
I called Verizon who could provide me with a DSL line and they said they no longer provide service in my area.

Back to searching online:-

At home, I use Consolidated Communications. I've used others - but I live in Maine and there are regulations that require the lines be open for competition, so anyone *willing* to service me can do so.

Emphasis on 'willing'.

If you have some sort of fairly local/regional DSL providing ISP, they may be a more likely source.

I found an Essentials Program with Xfinity online.

If you quality due to a disability you can be a part of the Xfinity Essentials program and your internet bill is only $10 dollars a month.

I told the Xfinity rep a year ago that I had a disability and she didn't help me with that program.

You have to be w/o Xfinity service for 90 days in order to get service for the Essentials program.

If I have to go w/o service for 90 days I think I'll file a complaint at the court house.
Afterall, I did tell the rep that I had a disability and the rep could of signed me up for that program and did not.

It'd suck to go 30 days w/out service, but a $10/mo bill is pretty sweet!

After the wreck, I probably could convince someone I'm disabled. I'm definitely mobility impaired and still have significant discomfort. It's not too bad, though. Plus, two DSL connections and two landline numbers is only about $150 per month.

It'd suck to go 30 days w/out service, but a $10/mo bill is pretty sweet!

After the wreck, I probably could convince someone I'm disabled. I'm definitely mobility impaired and still have significant discomfort. It's not too bad, though. Plus, two DSL connections and two landline numbers is only about $150 per month.
Yeah, it will suck if I have to go w/o service.
I'll see what happens.

Sorry to hear you were in a wreck-
Was it bad?

It was rather bad. I was all screwed up. It was a couple of years ago and I was a passenger in a high-speed wreck. I broke a bunch of bones, with the worst being my femur. I had enough internal bleeding that I was bruised over 80% of my body. I survived and can walk again.

I don't drive intoxicated, but I was intoxicated enough to hop right into a car with an intoxicated driver. Yeah, I do stupid things... It's a long story.

But, I can walk again. I can't run very well. I can't jump ever again, but it's not too bad. Thanks for asking!

Also, if viable, you might be able to get wireless service for a few months.

It was rather bad. I was all screwed up. It was a couple of years ago and I was a passenger in a high-speed wreck. I broke a bunch of bones, with the worst being my femur. I had enough internal bleeding that I was bruised over 80% of my body. I survived and can walk again.

I don't drive intoxicated, but I was intoxicated enough to hop right into a car with an intoxicated driver. Yeah, I do stupid things... It's a long story.

But, I can walk again. I can't run very well. I can't jump ever again, but it's not too bad. Thanks for asking!

Also, if viable, you might be able to get wireless service for a few months.
Wow, sounds like you went through a lot of pain.
That's great that you can walk. You were fortunate:-

If I have to I'll carry my laptop to the library and use their WiFi for a few months.

I checked with the local DSL company. They can't provide service to me.

I checked with the local DSL company. They can't provide service to me.

That sucks. I'm REALLY remote and have had three different DSL providers. DSL is (maybe) more common here on a per capita basis, or perhaps they're just used to having disparate customers?

Mint Mobile is unlimited and like $30/mo. I don't know if they allow tethering, but they might.

I have to go to the Xfinity store in a few days.
I'll let you know how things go.

That sounds like a good plan. LOL Maybe you can point out that you told the CSR you were disabled and get a pro-rated bill for the months where you paid full price! I'll be rooting for you.

Talked to a rep today at the Xfinity store.
She advised me to call the Internet Essentials program while I was there to see if they could help me.
The Xfinity rep said if the program couldn't help me she would work out another agreement for another 12 months with me.

Sadly the rep with the Internet Essentials program explained I would have to stop my service with Xfinity and go 90 days w/o service in order to be a part of that program.

The Xfinity rep worked it out so I can have service for another 12 months but have to call her on a certain date and time in December, 2020 and she'd set up service again for me.

I can't imagine not having internet service for 90 days.
Futhermore, this is not professional IMO regardless that the program is a 3rd party merchant that works with Comcast.
This is not a way to treat customers and it's certainly not efficient for customers with disabilities who need internet service daily.

Sorry for the rant:-

Sadly the rep with the Internet Essentials program explained I would have to stop my service with Xfinity and go 90 days w/o service in order to be a part of that program.

That's bullspit. That's straight up bullspit. It reads like a corporate policy written by someone with no clue about the real world or someone that's mentally handicapped.

I think it was Mint Mobile that was 'unlimited' for $30/mo and no contracts. That might be something to examine?

Bullspit agreed brother!
I had a look at Mint Mobile.
Unfortunately Mint Mobile won't work for me.

Verizon and Xfinity are the only 2 ISP in my area so I'm stuck with Xfinity at $39.99 a month for 12 months. Verizon can't provide me with service 'at all'.

FWIW, Windstream (before I signed up with Xfinity) had to drop me as a customer because the company they got their service from (Verizon) didn't want to make another contract agreement with.
Windstream sent me a 30 day refund for the inconvenience.

More bullcrap!

Is it just me or company values have went way down hill?

Anyway I've been painting for 20 years plus and I would never treat my customers like this!
This looks to me like greed has more presidence and values are thrown out with yesterdays trash.

Is it just me or company values have went way down hill?

Greed and pseudo-monopolies. Many jurisdictions have agreements where only one company is allowed to provide the services and, in return, the company maintains the infrastructure. Still, I'm baffled that it is just one single company in your area.

Greed and pseudo-monopolies. Many jurisdictions have agreements where only one company is allowed to provide the services and, in return, the company maintains the infrastructure. Still, I'm baffled that it is just one single company in your area.

Spending the better part of the last 3 weeks (2 hours at a time) pounding away at Google searches no other ISP out there can provide service to me.

I forgot, sorry Hughes.net can provide me with satellite service but the landord doesn't allow for a dish to be installed on the apartment buildings.

Two close friends of mine that live about 15 min's away have Xfinity service as well.

Thanks for pointing out that some areas have arrangements where just on company can provide a service. It looks like that's the case.

The Federal Communications Commission Order 98-273 prohibits landlords from restricting a renter's access to antennas or dishes as long as the installation meets certain criteria. Among the specifications outlined by the FCC are that direct-to-home satellite dishes must be less than 40 inches in diameter.

https://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-landlord-prohibit-satellite-dish-property-california-42063.html

Of course, you're gonna piss off your landlord and they're going to look for any reason they can come up with to evict you...