Getting a new computer and a new OS. Help?

TheNerdHobbit

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone!
I'm getting ready to purchase a new computer in preparation for starting an electrician apprenticeship. I don't want Windows' glitchy interface or security flaws, I'm not a fan of the Apple walled garden of designer tech, and I don't trust Chrome OS (aka Google) with access to my entire system. That only leaves Linux.
I've done a little research ahead of time. I need a laptop, touchscreen optional, with an ideal price tag of under $1K, under $500 if I can manage it. Ideally, it would also come preloaded with a distro OS on it, though if there is a wiser way to approach this, please tell me. I'm looking for some degree of physical durability, and enough processing speed for some streaming, possibly some light gaming.
I've got an idea, based on some basic distro research, that one of three distros will be my best choice: Elementary OS, Ubuntu (possibly Lubuntu), or Linux Mint, in that order of preference.

What computer should I buy, and with which distro? Discuss?

Thank you so much for your input!

Last edited:

Research well before you buy and make certain of what you are getting before you purchase.

This will give you an idea of what is available OOTB for oem Linux although there are a few other choices.

If you could list your new computers specs that would help.

I recommend Linux Mint.
Elementary OS runs great too. A friend of mine runs it and has performed exceptionally well.

Congrads on your electrician apprenticeship.:)

System Requirements for Linux Mint:
https://blog.linuxmint.com/?s=System+requirements

Linux Lite

Linux Mint

Peppermint 10

If your apprenticeship is going to require you to run software on your personal computer, please check to ensure the software will run under Linux. I'm not a big fan of Windows, but I'm even less of a fan of a computer that won't do what you need to do with it.

Thank you so much for all the advice and resources! I really appreciate your help. Thank you, everyone!

...and make certain of what you are getting before you purchase.

... is great advice.

Being a Mod, I have access to IP addresses, and without giving away locations without permission, I see you are in a good-sized city.

If you are buying online, well and good, but if you are considering "hoofing the shoe leather" between stores in your city, you might want to see if you can take with you a USB stick containing a Live Linux and see if the salesman will allow you to try it to see what you think?

Good luck (both on the purchase and the apprenticeship) and let us know how you go, or ask further questions.

Avagudweegend all

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

If you are buying online, well and good, but if you are considering "hoofing the shoe leather" between stores in your city, you might want to see if you can take with you a USB stick containing a Live Linux and see if the salesman will allow you to try it to see what you think?

That is a wonderful idea! That said, at the moment I am at this point leaning strongly toward a laptop made for Linux specifically, e.g., System76, Star Labs, ZaReason, etc. Could I use such Live sticks on a $99 Pinebook or a comparably cheap refurbished machine to test and decide on a distro I like before purchasing the real deal? I've got plenty of time before I'll need it for my classwork, online or otherwise.

Or am I being silly to buy a test laptop that I might only use for a couple weeks? I've never even touched a machine running Linux before, so I feel like testing the waters is important, but is it $100-of-blown-money important? (I should note that the closest thing I have to a computer at all right now is my Samsung J7 V Android phone that I am currently doing all this research and forum posting on. YEET.)

Last edited:
Could I use such Live sticks on a $99 Pinebook or a comparably cheap refurbished machine to test and decide on a distro I like before purchasing the real deal?
Only if you choose a Linux Distro which supports ARM Proccessors.
I believe there are some Linux Distros which do although uncertain which will support ARM Processors.

Or am I being silly to buy a test laptop that I might only use for a couple weeks? I've never even touched a machine running Linux before, so I feel like testing the waters is important, but is it $100-of-blown-money important? (I should note that the closest thing I have to a computer at all right now is my Samsung J7 V Android phone that I am currently doing all this research and forum posting on. YEET.)
Can't compare a laptop computer to a cell phone as the platform is different and much more can be accomplished with a laptop computer.

If you can spare the extra $100.00 than go ahead as nothing like actually owning the real thing to know exactly how it will work imo.

I've blown more than $100.00 in a bar / pub on alcoholic beverages. :eek:o_O:p:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online