Get files and folders to position themselves on desktop according to where I click/DnD.

SammyWinters

Reaction score
Credits
I'm new to linux, so forgive me this dumb question but... How do I get files and folders I create on my desktop to stay where I click?I know I can move them after the fact, but I've always used my desktop as a quick go to for whatever I'm working on. Text file here, application there, wtv. When I try to do this in linux it moves to its first available position, left most and topmost, underneath various windows. Is there anyway to get it to stay in the general area of where I create/place it?

We will likely need to know which desktop environment you use, as that's a function of your DE.

For example in Cinnamon, you right click on the desktop, click on customize, and disable 'auto-arrange'.

Whatever rolling Parrot sec (4.11.3 atm) uses. Probably going to make a change from it anyways. As powerful as it can be in the right hands (I know, it's a pre package), I should move to something more basic. Just moving from win to linux/wtv after barely even using a computer for close to a decade. Feel like that relative that asks you to help setup their email.

By pure coincidence, today's article on my site will tell you how to determine your desktop environment!

That was fortuitous.

xD

Members online