General Video Annoyance

K

kenizl86

I've got a question about a video problem that I've had for a while on my laptop.

The main issue is that I get these lines and specky dots all over the screen, but only during certain boot times. For some reason, I get this when I actually load into Linux (or FreeBSD) and use the OS, or when the BIOS boots up upon turning the machine on.

Somehow, during the kernel load time, these specks vanish. When GRUB loads into the gui menu, the same thing happens.

I don't know what transformations go on during kernel loading, but whatever it does to the display is the settings I need during normal operation. Any ideas?

Note: I believe it has something to do with the reolution, because when I put something into fullscreen (not maximized, but actuall fullscreen) it completly jacks up the monitor and does that liney, specky thing. When the kernel loads, I notice it uses a higher density (more characters per line, possibly 150?) than the regular 80 when doing the initial boot. Also, sorry about the extreme length, but I figured the more details the better. Also also, if someone needs a picture to better understand the issue, I'd be happy to provide some.

There are two places to look: dmesg and Xorg.0.log. Probably, you'll find the issue in the dmesg output.

Okay, I got the info. I appended the dmesg for FreeBSD and Crunchbang (into separate files), and I also got the resolution settings outputted from "vidcontrol -i mode" (FreeBSD).

I've attached the dmesg outputs, vidcontrol outputs; and I've also attached some pictures of my faulty monitor. The first is of the BIOS (which looks pretty bad), the dots are when it's loading, and the last two are lines of white text (crunchbang loading) which is how it should look (no lines or dots).

Hope this helps!

IMG_0831.JPG
IMG_0834.jpg
IMG_0836.jpg

Attachments

• dmesg.crunchbang.txt
    47.1 KB · Views: 993
  • dmesg.freebsd.txt
    6.7 KB · Views: 1,468
  • vidcontrol.freebsd.txt
    5.1 KB · Views: 1,330
  • IMG_0837.jpg
    IMG_0837.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,252
Now that I see the pictures, that looks like a hardware problem, not a system problem.

The issue lies in the hardware or the BIOS. Linux is not involved at all.

Members online