GCC or Clang?!

K

Kryyll

I'm just curious to see the community's opinion on GCC and Clang. I have used both of these compilers and I personally like GCC better. I think that Clang's error messages are far better but thats about all. I can't really tell a difference in speed. What are your opinions?!

I'm just curious to see the community's opinion on GCC and Clang. I have used both of these compilers and I personally like GCC better. I think that Clang's error messages are far better but thats about all. I can't really tell a difference in speed. What are your opinions?!

I prefer GCC because it seems to have less problems compiling code.

I prefer GCC truthfully because its what I've always used :D

It seems to be apples to oranges as far as which is better (a quick Stackoverflow query showed people have opinions one way or another, but no clear benchmarks seems to have been done that everyone can agree upon....
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8205858/clang-vs-gcc-for-my-linux-development-project)

Clang does apparently have better error messages, but I've never had a problem reading GCC's error messages, and the line numbers in GCC always seem to be very accurate. Then again, I've only really developed in C not C++ and not at an enterprise/production level.

I haven't really tried Clang. In my opinion the real question is GCC vs ICC.

One of my friends and I disagree on this topic and we always fight about it. Personally GCC is my favorite but I don't mind Clang. I'm also a wee bit biased towards free software (software released under the GPL) but I have no real issue with Clang. Also, does anyone know if you can switch the compiler on Gentoo? I'm not actually planning on it but is it possible?

Members online