Gaming on Linux - Which distro?

Jandarsun8

Reaction score
Credits
Greetings!
The title says it for the most part but had some questions still. I installed a couple different versions of Linux on a Lenovo laptop (W530) that has an Nvidia video card in it and Linux Mint seemed to be the only one I was able to get Steam to work on. I didn't care so much for Ubuntu, I thought it felt kind of dumbed down and didn't seem to give a lot of options for hardware settings, and I don't remember the other version I installed since it's been a couple of months. Is there a distro that seems to work better with games and/or be more compatible with hardware then other versions? I've currently been using this laptop to test on but I'd like to move Linux over to my main box which is an AMD Ryzen 1800X and a Vega 64 video card on a Gigabyte MB (although I'm not finding a lot of Linux drivers for Gigabyte, are they not Linux friendly?). I was kind of hoping that Steams Linux based OS would push developers to look more to Linux and offer another OS friendly to gaming other then Windows but not sure if that will ever come to be.

So I'd like to get some opinions on anyone else that games with Linux on what they use for both distro and hardware.

Thanks.

I guess I should clarify that I use Win 10 to game through Steam with games like Ghost Recon, Shadow Warrior 1 and 2, WoW periodically, D3, Rainbox 6 Vegas 2 with the kid sometimes other games similar to that. I'd like to move away from Windows and Steam seems to be getting more higher end games in their list that will work with Linux, now I'd like to get a good gaming box setup with the hardware I have either currently using or laying around.

I had with Debian more FPS than Ubuntu on the same hardware.
I think debian could be athome thing for you.

G'day @Jandarsun8 and welcome to linux.org :)

If you go to https://software.opensuse.org/ you can both download openSUSE and read about the differences between Rolling Release and Point Release.

Tumbleweed is their Rolling, and Leap the Point. I do not know if this has any impact on Gaming.

Be aware that openSUSE, unlike most Linux Distros, does not provide for a Live Test scenario (try before you buy), so you have to perform a full install of it to use it.

Be sure you have a Windows Recovery plan in place if dualbooting.

Good luck and good gaming.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

I bet on Debian to create a gaming machine.

Many years ago, I installed steam on OpeSuSE and I've more FPS than same game on windows (testing Counter Strike:Source and Day of Defeat: Source)

Members online