fvwm

thmsh

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone.....
by default in fvwm time and date are written in two lines
can you please tell me
how do I change a single line entry?...different format?...and to reduce the distance to the bottom edge as much as possible?

Last edited:

Hi,

You can create a .fvwm2rc file in your home directory.
There is a complete configuration example in /usr/local/share/fvwm/config

You can also check the default config file at https://github.com/fvwmorg/fvwm/blob/master/default-config/config

Look for "tray" keyword. I've put the related part below. You can put the following config in the .fvwm2rc file and try to mess with the few last RightPanel lines.

Code:
DestroyModuleConfig RightPanel:*
*RightPanel: Geometry 120x$[vp.height]-0+0
*RightPanel: Colorset 10
*RightPanel: Rows $[vp.height]
*RightPanel: Columns 120
*RightPanel: Frame 0
*RightPanel: Font "xft:Sans:Bold:size=10:antialias=True"
*RightPanel: (120x45, Icon "fvwm-logo-small.png", Frame 0)
*RightPanel: (120x5, Frame 0)
*RightPanel: (10x20, Frame 0)
*RightPanel: (25x20, Id desk0, Title "0", Action (Mouse 1) GotoDesk 0 0, Colorset 11, ActiveColorset 12, Frame 0)
*RightPanel: (25x20, Id desk1, Title "1", Action (Mouse 1) GotoDesk 0 1, ActiveColorset 12, Frame 0)
*RightPanel: (25x20, Id desk2, Title "2", Action (Mouse 1) GotoDesk 0 2, ActiveColorset 12, Frame 0)
*RightPanel: (25x20, Id desk3, Title "3", Action (Mouse 1) GotoDesk 0 3, ActiveColorset 12, Frame 0)
*RightPanel: (10x20, Frame 0)
*RightPanel: (5x80, Frame 0)
*RightPanel: (110x80, Swallow FvwmPager 'Module FvwmPager *', Frame 0)
*RightPanel: (5x80, Frame 0)
Test (x stalonetray) *RightPanel: (120x20, Swallow(NoClose,UseOld) \
    stalonetray 'Exec exec stalonetray --config \
    "$[FVWM_DATADIR]/default-config/.stalonetrayrc"', Frame 0)
Test (x stalonetray) PipeRead 'echo "*RightPanel: (120x$(($[vp.height]-225)), \
    Top, Swallow FvwmIconMan \'Module FvwmIconMan\', Frame 0)"'
Test (!x stalonetray) PipeRead 'echo "*RightPanel: (120x$(($[vp.height]-205)),\
    Top, Swallow FvwmIconMan \'Module FvwmIconMan\', Frame 0)"'
*RightPanel: (120x45, Swallow DateTime 'Module FvwmScript FvwmScript-DateTime',\
    Frame 0)

while I couldn't figure it out, I just removed the right panel module strings from the config. time made tint2. but there was a problem that at function "maximum" it does not reach the right edge exactly on that distance which has been allocated for the right panel. therefore i need to adjust the size for maximum. can you please tell me where it is?

I'm not sure I understood.

If you want to remove this panel to use tint2 you should also remove the following line from the configuration :

Code:
+ I Module FvwmButtons RightPanel

yes. she seems a little superfluous to me.
am I bothering you with questions? if you're into the subject, then You're a very valuable person; wm is very cool, but challenging. wanted to still ask: about styles
'ClickToFocus', 'ClickToFocusPassesClick', 'ClickToFocusPassesClickOff', 'ClickToFocusRaises' and 'ClickToFocusRaisesOff'.
in the manual they are written, but not explained. or is there a place where it is explained? I didn't.
and is it possible to execute a command from the terminal "Restart"?
thanks a lot, buddy......:)

Last edited:
There you go : http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/manpages/fvwm.html#lbBU

Style command allows you to change some windows behavior. The first argument is a filter for the kind of windows you want to target. The other parameters set the desired behavior for the targeted windows.
For example you can say "I want all the windows with a name like "firefox*" to be maximized when opened".

The focus policy well it lets you decide what hapens with the focus.
ClickToFocus means a window will get the focus when you click on it, ClickToFocusPassesClick means that if a window is not focused and you click on it it will gain focus AND trigger a click on the window. The opposite is ClickToFocusPassesClickOff : if this option is set, lets say you have an unfocused window with a button in it, If you click the button the window will get the focus but the button won't be clicked, you will need another click to actually trigger the button.

and is it possible to execute a command from the terminal "Restart"?

You want to trigger a reboot of your machine at some point or do you want to use the "Restart" FVWM command which lets you restart the WM (or switch to another) ?

If you want to execute shell commands there is the Exec command in FVWM : http://www.fvwm.org/documentation/manpages/fvwm.html#lbBX (scroll down a little bit).

You can combine it with Menus or Keyboard shortcuts to trigger shell commands on user actions.

+ "Restart" Restart ......it's on the menu
is it possible to do this from a terminal without using hotkeys?
perhaps it is possible only through the module?....
+ "FvwmCons" Module FvwmConsole -terminal $[infostore.terminal]
P.S.
I didn't expect this WM to be so powerful in settings

Last edited:
It you want to restart fvwm from a command line you have different options depending on the way it was started initially.

Some options :

Code:
# fvwm --replace

Code:
# killall fvwm
# fvwm

Code:
# killall -SIGUSR1 fvwm

there seems to be no such way
Code:
# fvwm --replace
in this case, it just goes out of session
Code:
root@debian:/home/th# # killall fvwm
root@debian:/home/th# fvwm
[fvwm][SetupICCCM2]: <<ERROR>> another ICCCM 2.0 compliant WM is running, try -replace
root@debian:/home/th#
Code:
root@debian:/home/th# killall -SIGUSR1 fvwm
fvwm: процесс не найден
root@debian:/home/th#
процесс не найден
process not found