Fun with XP - Lilnux continues -- if it is at all fun

U

URDRWHO

So I have tried (have a lot of DVD's burned) Ubuntu, Mint, Knoppix 7.2, Lubuntu, Crunchbang and Suse KDE. Ubuntu is the only one that I can get a clean working install. Suse might work but I stopped the install because of my fear of partition choice menu. The ones that I did install all have basically the same issue, they start to boot but then the HD just stops. Knoppix shows my Nvidia, some other stuff and then stops. Crunchbang may have worked but for some reason it didn't want to accept my user name / password combo.

Except for Mint, they all work fine using the live CD. Install and it all breaks.

So I guess I am stuck with Ubuntu and hope that I can get the WiFi working with it. From what I read it is a sticky issue with Broadcom drivers. Knoppix live CD found the WiFi without a problem, the bottom on the laptop lit up and everything. I really, really wanted Knoppix to work.

When installing Knoppix I followed this video
When he chose the partition for Knoppix he didn't choose an Ext format. Wonder if I should have just chose the ext4? I could try it again but man it takes a long time and then you get nothing. Frustrating!

Computer is:
HP
AMD Athlon 64
3000+
2 GB of ram
HP Pavillion ZV5000

I fear that with this experiment that one of these times fixmbr isn't going to work. So it is time to do the partition thing.

Did you read ryanvade's post on partitioning with EasyBCD from NeoSmart Technologies? Even though it deals with Win 8, EasyBCD works with all Windows, according to their web site.

Did you read ryanvade's post on partitioning with EasyBCD from NeoSmart Technologies? Even though it deals with Win 8, EasyBCD works with all Windows, according to their web site.

I do or did have EasyBCD laying around somewhere. I used partition wizard to make the original partitions for these Linux distros. The distros find the partitions. Knoppix I did differently. Knoppix saw the partitions, I used gpart in Knoppix to format the partitions and that is when I got to choose -

Partition as swap file
Partition as (whatever it was called I think it was something journaling).

I'll check out ryanvade's post.

Thanks

Members online