Fstab file looks like this:

Yes, forgot to add the grub. Now added. Thank you.
I don't have physical disks. I have the software though. It's all on my hard-drive.

Yes, forgot to add the grub. Now added. Thank you.
I don't have physical disks. I have the software though. It's all on my hard-drive.
Do you have a full bit to bit Windows install image / .iso?

I don't think you can fix this without a fresh installation of windows.
Be aware that after you installed Windows, you either need to use the windows bootmanager to boot linux or fix grub. It also would be much cleaner to use a separate ssd for windows.
You should also have a backup of all the files you don't want to lose, on a drive that won't be connected when you install any OS. If you're not careful, windows will nuke and claim the whole drive for itself.

Be aware that after you installed Windows, you either need to use the windows bootmanager to boot linux or fix grub. It also would be much cleaner to use a separate ssd for windows.
You should also have a backup of all the files you don't want to lose, on a drive that won't be connected when you install any OS. If you're not careful, windows will nuke and claim the whole drive for itself.
Yes. I have backups. Not everything though, Which is why I'm reluctant to do fresh install at present. Thanks for the advice.

I completely agree!

Attempting to fix the fstab file so that Grub will read it properly could be a really difficult task if you're new to Linux.
I had help with that in the past and it's not easy. You have to really focus while editing that file.

Putting Windows on a drive all of it's own is a great idea!

Last edited:
Yes, I do.
Good, glad you have that.
Be sure you disconnect the hard drive that has your Linux installation on it before you install Windows.

Once Windows is installed than you can re-connect your drive with Linux on it.

I haven't used Windows in 13 years so I'm not sure how to use the Windows boot manager to boot Linux.
When you do manage to boot Linux just update Grub:

Code:
sudo update-grub

Updating Grub should find your Windows os and add it to the Linux bootloader so you can choose at boot up which os you want.

Last edited:
It's all on one drive and partitioned.

Wait.

Is Grub and Bootmgr different ?
Grub (Grand Unified Bootloader) is the tool for booting Linux operating systems.
The Windows boot manager is a Microsoft provided application that sets up the boot envirnment and starts the Windows os up.

Yes, they are different by design. They perform the same task in making an operating system boot.

Grub (Grand Unified Bootloader) is the tool for booting Linux operating systems.
The Windows boot manager is a Microsoft provided application that sets up the boot envirnment and starts the Windows os up.

Yes, they are different by design. They perform the same task in making an operating system boot.

Thank you. I thought GRUB was just like a Terminal thing that allowed me to enter commands to the Bootloader.

Thank you. I thought GRUB was just like a Terminal thing that allowed me to enter commands to the Bootloader.
Well, you can still do that, but it's not really comfortable. And if for whatever reason it gets stuck in this stage, it's normally easier to fix it with a live system than to try to talk to grub...

You're welcome, glad I could help--

I'm wondering if this looks right:

Attachments

• Gparted.png
    Gparted.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 109
Your efi partition, 2 Linux ext partitions and swap look right.;)

--I'm not sure on your Windows partitions because I haven't ran Windows in 13 years.--

The one thing that I do remember about Windows; is there is one main Windows partition and a Windows Recovery partition.
You may want to wait and see what other members here in your thread that have helped, that know Windows and see what they say.

Your efi partition, 2 Linux ext partitions and swap look right.;)

--I'm not sure on your Windows partitions because I haven't ran Windows in 13 years.--

The one thing that I do remember about Windows; is there is one main Windows partition and a Windows Recovery partition.
You may want to wait and see what other members here in your thread that have helped, that know Windows and see what they say.
Thanks mate. Why the winky face ? There are three Windows partitions:
the Main one.
the Recovery one.
the Reserve one. (something Windows must have apparently).

I followed this guide when I set up the dual-boot originally.
So, I refer to the images here to check whether the partitions are correct. Which they seem to be.

I feel the issue lies with Grub not being able to see the first Windows partition.
Or
The first Windows partition is somehow corrupt.

I am able to mount the third Windows partition from Linux and use the storage space.
I can't do that with the first one, which is where I think the OS should be placed.

Your welcome. The winky face was suppose to be a smile just to show a good gesture that you are on the right track with the Linux partitions.

It's good that you are able to mount the third Windows partition from Linux.
However, I'm not sure what is going on with the first partition where you think it should be placed.

@dobeshow or our Moderator, @wizardfromoz, may be able to assist you with that issue. Sorry I can not; I haven't ran Windows sine Windows XP.

Your welcome. The winky face was suppose to be a smile just to show a good gesture that you are on the right track with the Linux partitions.
Oh, okay. I thought you had noticed something that I had not.
It's good that you are able to mount the third Windows partition from Linux.
However, I'm not sure what is going on with the first partition where you think it should be placed.

@dobeshow or our Moderator, @wizardfromoz, may be able to assist you with that issue. Sorry I can not; I haven't ran Windows sine Windows XP.
Thanks anyway for your input.

Members online

Latest posts