FSF

jesica

Reaction score
Credits
Good day all

can I please ask, does someone knows if PopOS forms part of the FSF GNU/Free endorsement program

I would also like to know what Arm software can one load on the Arm chip that forms part of the FSF GNU/Free endorsement program

I do see FSF GNU/Free endorsement supports the RK3399 Arm chip

Regards

Is this an XY Problem? https://xyproblem.info/

Instead of asking some theoretical questions, why not "let the dog see the rabbit" and tell us what your problem actually is?

That way we might be able to help in more practical terms ...

Last edited:
All I can tell you is that POP was developed by system 76 for use on their own range of business computers it may be based on ubuntu but its not a full general use build, all system 76 computers are supplied with either intell or amd cpu's

Last edited:
Is this an XY Problem? https://xyproblem.info/

Instead of asking some theoretical questions, why not "let the dog see the rabbit" and tell us what your problem actually is?

That way we might be able to help in more practical terms ...

no need to be rude :-(

no need to be rude :-(
Your question was kind of cryptic, that's why I guessed what you were asking in my own reply.

Last edited:
there is no arm base software on it
If the gnu.org doesn't mention any Free GNU/Linux distribution that supports arm the answer is no. Also ARM is a proprietary platform so it's no surprise that there are no Free GNU/Linux distributions that support arm on the gnu.org website.
If you are looking for just free software that runs on the ARM platform you can have a look here and then check if it's available in the repositories of raspberry os or whatever arm distribution you are running on your arm device.

Last edited:
If your looking for a linux build to run on an arm cpu, then I suggest you search "Linux for ARM cpu"
BUT you have other criteria to look at . most ARM tablets and netbooks are designed for cloud computing and as such only have a small harddrives/ssd, many only 16gb, this means you will not have enough capacity to install and run full blown distributions [e.g. Mint, debian etc] so you will be restricted to a very leighweight distribution or upgrading the drive.

Bwiz

Thanks for the information all :)

I have a couple of Raspberry pi's , but I see they are not FSF approved.

The new Pinephone pro is and the Pinebook is FSF approved, but I see if foes not help much if there is no FSF software that is approved. I want to buy them if they get released

By the same token, there is probably no need to Not allow the dog to see the rabbit..... @arochester's statement was well intentioned.

again, I dont think so. Aggree to disaggree
I did go over it again, my questions makes sense
anyway
I was answered by him with helpful information

FSF is a good thought but in real life and realcomputers it's hard to make it all work. You have to like Pine do a lot of hardware compromises and manipulations to get a complete Free software model to work. Most if not all wifi cards have proprietary drivers /firmware that have to be installed to work. some companies like Intel work well with the linux kernel to allow them to include their drivers other do not Like Broadcom, realtek, Etc. Also many gpus require non free software to work. So you have a choice search high and low for hardware that does not need non-free software to run or compromise a bit to run it. Arm falls into that category at the moment. Even distros that are recommended /approved by the FSF. I have had to work hard to make them work on real world computers. Hunting down non-free drivers to install so it's at the present time hard to work with completely free software. Not impossible but it takes a great deal of effort for which most ops don't have the time or will to accomplish.
You may be the exception so if it's really important to you keep up the search. and Good Luck.

Last edited:
The following is my observations and thoughts on the FSF. These are my own thoughts and shouldn't be considered as representative of anything other than that.

The FSF is mostly well-intentioned, but they're also full of zealots. For example, RMS has stated that he'd make proprietary software illegal if he were able to do so. I love freedom, but freedom includes the freedom to release your software under any license you want - and my freedom to not use your software.

So, finding anything that fits FSF's narrow definitions is going to be difficult. You can do it, but the OS needs to not have any binary blobs, proprietary codecs, proprietary drivers, etc... So, even if the company works with Linux and provides a binary blob that works with Linux, that code has to be both open and libre to fit the definitions from FSF.

I make regular, automated donations to EFF. I don't send any money to FSF. I could go on. For a while, RMS and I were at the same institute of higher learning.

Members online