Frustrated, as in steam pouring out of my ears!

Damocles

Reaction score
Credits
I've loaded up one of my laptops with Linux Mint Cinnamon on the advice of a techy friend. I installed it last September and hadn't used it since. Today when I tried getting onto it I realized that I'd forgotten the password. I scoured the web for ways of dealing with that to no avail. So, I re-installed it. It asked me to set a password and I set one and set it to login automatically. After working for awhile I stepped away for a few minutes and when I returned I'd been logged out. It asked for the password but multiple attempts produced the same result; invalid password. I rebooted and got to the desktop, no problem. I then went online to download some software and it wanted my password to authenticate the download. And, again, it would not accept my password.

I'm about to re-install from scratch, again. But I don't know why my password keeps coming up as Invalid and I despair of it continuing to do so. Is there any way of avoiding using a password?

Try writing down the password.
The password MUST be entered exactly as when it was created.
Upper and lower case must be correct. Empty spaces are very much frowned upon.

You do not mention which version of Linux Mint Cinnamon you are working with but I think I recall reading something regarding a "bug" with the Linux Mint screen locker in the newest version.
Look on the Linux Mint forums for any reference to this.

I do NOT recommend the "Auto Login" feature. I believe it is soon to be deprecated.
I would also recommend setting the machine to not use a screensaver, not go to sleep, and not lock the screen when idle.

Thank for the response.

It's Mint 20 and I did another re-install. I was very deliberate about inputting the password and this time around it seems that all is well.

"I would also recommend setting the machine to not use a screensaver, not go to sleep, and not lock the screen when idle. " - How do I do all of that?

Sorry to be such a noob. I've been solidly Windows for 25 years but my techy friend convinced me to try Linux because he claimed it to be far more reliable and stable.

The easiest way to avoid screensavers dramas and loving while idle etc etc....is to avoid changing those settings.
Having said that I set my power settings as below
power settings.png

If I don't want to leave my pc with screen on etc etc.......I simply log out. Throw the password in when I return, and all is good.

The links below include tips on installing printers and a vast array of other worthwhile tips, Troubleshooting, **etc etc**........there are links all over the pages....so it is quite extensive.

BEFORE you try any of the tips, changes, tweaks etc etc
TAKE A TIMESHIFT SNAPSHOT.....

It works in a similar way to system restore.

I only keep three snapshots maximum...I space them out by a couple of weeks (approx) and then delete the oldest one periodically.

Timeshift will already be on your pc

Click on Menu, type in Timeshift.

Settings...select RSYNC

Location...select where you will store the snapshot/s (external hard drive is preferable)

Schedule...if you have a drive with plenty of space you can elect to save several snapshots.....or just keep one or two...

Users...Include All

Filters...under the + icon select both lines

Thats enough....go back to main screen of Timeshift, and select Create

grab a coffee.....5 minutes approx...maybe a bit longer because this will be the first 'snapshot'

Now......if something goes south while you are trying changes etc etc, all you need to do is access Timehsift, click on restore, and go grab another coffee.

Your system will be returned to whenever the snapshot you have chosen to restore, was taken.

If you have really screwed up, you can boot your pc to your thumb drive with LM 20 on it...access Timeshift on that .......it will have the snapshots on there for you to restore to. More coffee.5 minutes or so. Learn to relax.....it does work.

Now.......you can change things without fear of losing your shirt !....or your sanity.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts