Frozen pointer after 'suspend'

devizes

Reaction score
Credits
Often returning after 'suspend' the pointer is stuck and page frozen, I have to hold down power button to turn off, wait a second & start bootup again, all OK but is there some way to avoid frozen page. Thanks for any help.

First tell us what distro and version of the distro you're using. Secondly, this sounds like a power problem. IDK much about freezings and the little I know is that usually it's caused by insufficient power coming from the PSU.

Type of computer desktop or laptop.

Please post specs of your computer.

Open terminal and copy and paste inxi -Fxz in the terminal and press enter than copy and paste the output.

Last edited by a moderator:
Often returning after 'suspend' the pointer is stuck and page frozen, I have to hold down power button to turn off, wait a second & start bootup again, all OK but is there some way to avoid frozen page. Thanks for any help.

Many thanks for reply, although 1st computer in 1993 not computer knowledgeable, will try to find info & come back asap. I think this year accepted update to V 18.6? power supply input RHS of HP EasynoteLE69KB laptop.

Type of computer desktop or laptop.

Please post specs of your computer.

Open terminal and copy and paste inxi -Fxz in the terminal and press enter than copy and paste the output.
Many thanks for reply, although 1st computer in 1993 not computer knowledgeable, will try to find info & come back asap. I think this year accepted update to V 18.6? power supply input RHS of HP EasynoteLE69KB laptop.

I'm not saying this is the solution, just that it's an option until you find the solution. You can disable hibernation. Unless you're on a laptop running on battery, you really shouldn't need it. You should be able to find it in your system settings under power or power management.

I'm not saying this is the solution, just that it's an option until you find the solution. You can disable hibernation. Unless you're on a laptop running on battery, you really shouldn't need it. You should be able to find it in your system settings under power or power management.
An excellent suggestion as I have found laptops to be notoriously problematic when using hibernation mode.

Failure to awake from hibernation and also freezing when awaking from hibernation.

Scroll down to "Hibernate" and "suspend".
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/bugs.html#ID10

Last edited by a moderator:
An excellent suggestion as I have found laptops to be notoriously problematic when using hibernation mode.

Failure to awake from hibernation and also freezing when awaking from hibernation.

Scroll down to "Hibernate" and "suspend".
https://easylinuxtipsproject.blogspot.com/p/bugs.html#ID10
Many thanks for help, cannot see hibernation in power settings will wait till more knowledgeable friend available to follow your instructions. I normally keep on charge during day but turn off power overnight.

What distro and desktop do you have installed?
Accepted update recently of I think V18.7 on HP Easynote LE69KB laptop, I normally turn on power supply at startup & turn off during day or overnight. When first version 16.? installed kept Windows 10 in partitioned HD
Is that the info you require?
Again many thanks.

@devizes, hello.

Can you open a Terminal, it will look something like this

Zby6gPn.png

Type in and enter

Code:
lsb_release -a

and tell us what it says.

Type in and enter

Code:
echo $DESKTOP_SESSION

and tell us what it says.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Ist page
No LSB available
ID Ubuntu
dis ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
release 18.04
bionic
2nd page
packardbell@packardbell-Easynote-LE69KB=
cannot find similarity sign then $ sign
Happy to have another go if info incorrect.

A couple of possible workarounds (not solutions) are:

1. Hit CTRL-ALT-F1, then CTRL-ALT-F7 and see if mouse is working again.

2. Open at terminal with CTRL-ALT-T (I think this works in Ubuntu)... then enter these commands:
Code:
sudo rmmod psmouse
sudo modprobe psmouse

The solution at #2 used to work for me with a similar problem, and I made a small script to run the two commands more easily after I opened the terminal.

Cheers

Many thanks, will try next time frozen, will let you know result.

Members online