from xp to linux help

Z

zaee

hello,
i want to install linux because xp is going to die in next couple of weeks.
it is said that installing linux is a big problem and you never know right thing for you,can anyone help me?
i use openoffice for alomost everything.
i also need to install "urdu" language as well.
i love to work (sometimes) on apache,mysql and php.(xampp in windows)
which linux should i install?

Hi!
it is said that installing linux is a big problem and you never know right thing for you,can anyone help me?
Maybe it was in other days.Today I don't think this is true, or even fair to say.
You just 1)make a a live DVD (pick one from distrowatch), 2)boot your PC from DVD and then, 3)just click "install to hard drive".

For not having to manage partitions stick with Ubuntu or Mint, and maybe KDE environment.
The programs you need to use will be installed after the SO, if not already in your system.

If you find any trouble in this process, just come back here and Post your questions. I'm sure folks around here will help you;)

Go on! I bet You'll Love it! ;)

i want to install linux because xp is going to die in next couple of weeks.
I am not a windows user and certainly no fan of windows but this is just FUD...

Support will end, but the OS will not "die".

If you want to switch to GNU/Linux, ensure you're doing so for the right reasons. If you're looking for a windows replacement you may be disappointed. Apart from that, from what you've posted, the transition should be painless.

Do you want to totally wipe out XP? Or do you want to install Linux side by side with XP and hence duel boot?

If you want just Linux on your computer, may I suggest that you first wipe out your hard drive with a program that totally nukes the drive for a nice clean install. (There are two reasons for this, one to get rid of Windows, completely and two because of Windows, get rid of any viruses etc that could be lurking around.)

As to how hard is Linux to install? Okay, if you pick a beginner's distro like I did (because I am clueless about Linux and am just learning) right out of the box EASY. I did one of those which distro's for me test and with my no knowledge of Linux, brand new computer but had installed OS in the past, it came up with, I think it was three. I chose Mint 16, um, because I am Irish? :rolleyes: Been using it for a month and I should have switched to Linux years ago! I am already looking at my next distro cause I am a bit weird, I like the Terminal.

Any Questions? Ask!

If you want just Linux on your computer, may I suggest that you first wipe out your hard drive with a program that totally nukes the drive for a nice clean install. (There are two reasons for this, one to get rid of Windows, completely and two because of Windows, get rid of any viruses etc that could be lurking around.)
For most distros, the installer will generally take care of this. It's usually just a case of deleting all partitions and starting from scratch. If you have data to back up - you need to back it up before doing any of this.

Thanks labrat, I forgot the back-up part, oops:oops:. I guess because I am so conditioned to back-up BEFORE I play with the computer, and have all the disks I need, OS, drivers etc. that I forget others are not always so up on all of that.

I wish I understood half of what this is saying. I've been trying to get linux on my laptop all day. Anyone know of a straightforward guide showing how to do it without talk of distros etc and without using a disc?

I wish I understood half of what this is saying. I've been trying to get linux on my laptop all day. Anyone know of a straightforward guide showing how to do it without talk of distros etc and without using a disc?
If you can't be bothered to make the effort and research the right distribution for you, then why should anyone invest the time and effort to help you...?

Members online