From Ubuntu 18.10 to 18.04 LTS

Eddie Paul Litz

Reaction score
Credits
If I were to upgrade to Ubuntu 18.10 once it's released & use it for it's full support days & once it's support is over how would I revert back to 18.04.1 or would I have to reinstall it over 18.10?

Why not just upgrade from 18.10 to 19.04?

Wizard

If I have this right, every new Standard & LTS Versions get released every 6 months?

If I have this right, every new Standard & LTS Versions get released every 6 months?
18.04 + 6 months = 18.10 ... yep, that's right. And that's why it is 18.10 and not 18.1. That trailing zero has meaning. All Ubuntu versions end with .04 (April release) or .10 (October release). There is always 6 months between them (unless they decide to change it later).

And the interim life cycles are 9 months long. So as the chart in my link showed you, there is a 3-month overlap between cycles (excluding the LTS cycles). This allows you plenty of time to upgrade to the new one before the old one reaches end-of-life.

Okay, I think I give the "Any New Version" on Ubuntu a try & see how it goes.

If I were to upgrade to Ubuntu 18.10 once it's released & use it for it's full support days & once it's support is over how would I revert back to 18.04.1 or would I have to reinstall it over 18.10?
If you later want to "downgrade" back to the 18.04 LTS series, you will probably have to reinstall. But as long as you move forward you should be okay.

Not quite right.

The LTS are released every 2 years, in April. They have 5 years support. The other three are point releases, which have a 9 month lifespan for support.

Wizard

I am using Lubuntu 18.04 now and like to at some point switch to Kubuntu. It's just a shame that these Ubuntu flavors only get 3 years support for the LTS versions.

Allegedly, and this may vary from Distro and Family to Distro and Family - with the 5 years' LTS, it is 5 years software support, and the first 2.5 years is hardware support.

Wiz

This from Ask Ubuntu

The Ubuntu BASE has a 5 year support on ALL releases specified as LTS. The distribution specific software (ie. LXDE desktop, KDE desktop) have a 3 year support -from Canonical-.

Also mind that those 5 years are divided into 2 parts:

• 2 1/2 years: hardware and maintenance
  • 2 1/2 years: maintenance
The 3 year LTS versions are supposed to start to prepare the newly released LTS (since that one is released every 2 years).

https://askubuntu.com/questions/967...lts-support-end-sooner-than-the-official-ubun

So I've learned something (which I usually do every day in this wonderful world of Linux)

Thanks @lekkerlinux :D

Wiz

Pleasure to you all! I read so many conflicting reports about what is stable and what is not and various support time frames, I would just chosen Ubuntu, but it is still as ugly as in 2014 when I started using Linux. No offense to anyone, I just prefer a minimal desktop.:)

Hey Lekker :)

Verging off-topic here -

but it is still as ugly as in 2014 when I started using Linux. No offense to anyone, I just prefer a minimal desktop.:)

Agree with you if you are talking "standard" Ubuntu, aka Ubuntu Desktop aka Ubuntu GNOME (the DE you were using in 2014 was Unity, based on GNOME)

But there also Ubuntu MATE (which I quite like) and Ubuntu Budgie, which is more minimalistic in its desktop.

https://ubuntu-mate.org/download/

https://ubuntubudgie.org/downloads

Always plenty of choices in Linux :)

Wizard

Members online