From MiMoSA to Elementary and beyond (I guess)

Rafaelys

Reaction score
Credits
Hello there!

I was born south of Brazil in '81 and had access to PCs and the internet in the 2000s, but I was never really attached to it other than work obligations. I tried to remember when I had contact with Linux and realized that it is a very interesting story, I even went to get some pictures

I didn't really follow anything about linux until 2007 when I met a great friend of mine called Alissa, who was an artist and educator who worked with something she called "urban permaculture", which in her case involved taking unused pieces of hardware and putting everything together in a shopping cart, making a kind of mobile PC on wheels that was called MiMoSA, short for Mobile Media S/A (the latter means limited company, like the commercial term). Or maybe it was a CC (community computer)? Later on I've learned this was a very branched network of Metarecycling projects, of which she was a part.

Blessed be the internet:

MiMoSA 2.jpeg
MiMoSa.jpeg

Credits: Ecoaecoa coletivo (original link)

She rode with MiMoSAs in workshops and educational projects with children in low-income communities. One of the activities was a game she called the "Communative" RPG (I don't know how to translate, but it involves the words community and action), where children choose roles and coordinate stories about their own communities in which real life challenges and fantasy were mixed.

RGP comunativo Jardim Gramacho.jpeg

Credits: Ecoaecoa coletivo (original link)

The story later were always released on books edited in handmade way and distributed for free. Well, not only was MiMoSA's OS running on linux, with all the steps involved, but she was an activist in the free software movement in Brazil. I was able to accompany her in some of these meetings, where I've met some very interesting people (I'm not in these photos though). In fact she has this production documented in her undergraduate work in visual arts, unfortunately only in Portuguese, but I believe that a translation of the pdf (if it exists) can do the job

EDIT: when consenting to the publication of these photos she also sent me these videos (here and here)

Despite this great introduction to linux I had, I was reluctant to start using it due to the bizarre idea that I couldn't play games like TES, so I gradually surrendered to test it on dual-boot.

Then, due to the addiction to MSWord, which allowed me to work more safely as a proofreader and in the formatting of scientific texts than other open source text editors. So far I only used Ubuntu, and I was able to update and redeem the old-version OS with the help of this forum, so doing a dedicated installation only in Elementary OS, mainly after the arrival of LibreOffice 7, whose existence I also learned about in this forum too.

One of these days I was able to rescue an old notebook from a friend by installing ZorinOS and I imagine she must have found me the most nerdy guy in the universe. I would like to master more about it but I am currently focusing on working as a nurse, I graduated last year (2020), I am doing a doctorate in nursing but already trying to review the contents of the practice, to prepare myself for the first "real" job (currently trying to find some friendly version of wiki program to help me with this, also with the help of this forum). I work in the area of mental health but I have a thing for acting in community health (I find mental hospitals a bit maddening by itself, to be honest).

Well, thanks to everyone for being part of this, right?

Last edited:

Welcome to the community @Rafaelys!! Always great to see new members from countries I didn't expect them to come from :)

@Rafaelys .....That is one of the most fascinating reads I have come across in quite some time.

You are more than welcome here.

@Rafaelys .....That is one of the most fascinating reads I have come across in quite some time.

Well, fellow Aussie Brian beat me to the punch, and Paul (above) and I are two of the "Loves" :)

What a heartwarming tale.

We look forward to a long and fruitful association with you, and helping you enjoy your path on the highway to Linux wisdom (if we find an end to the highway, we'll let you know).

Cheers and stay safe

Chris

I don't normally respond to posts in this section of the site, but this one was truly interesting. It's not that I don't care, it's that I have nothing to add that hasn't already been said. Once again, that's true. Still, I feel compelled to say something, and that is...

Hello and welcome to the forum.

@Rafaelys
G'day and welcome. Love your introduction and along with @f33dm3bits find it good that there others from other locations of our beautiful home that are getting in to the world of Linux.
I hope you are enjoying Libre Office. I have used Open Office before when I used Win7 as I was not a fan of MS Office which I had learnt and had to use due to my work, it is the platform from which Libre is derived from.
Just remember that should you have a query or a problem do not hesitate to ask this mob as between us all we will help you solve your problem or clear up a query.

Members online