Fresh Installation of Linuxfx Ubuntu Based (SOLVED}

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
Just installed the new Linufx {Windowsfx} based on Ubuntu 20 Focal Fossa.

It runs great however; I was wondering does anyone know, if I install the Chromium browser will it automatically get updated along with the system updates?

@Alexzee -- if I remember correctly, google-chrome has its own repo and if enabled will update along with all others with apt upgrade. You can normally check it out in /etc/apt/sources.list or /sources.list.d/*

@Alexzee -- if I remember correctly, google-chrome has its own repo and if enabled will update along with all others with apt upgrade. You can normally check it out in /etc/apt/sources.list or /sources.list.d/*
Thanks for the quick response.

I found the repo for Chrome listed in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/*

Is there a way to install Chromium w/o using snap?

Noted, Nelson, and fair call - but Alex mentions Chrome first, then asks after Chromium.

Confusing, eh? :)

Always welcome, Alex

Wiz

I may not keep this distro.

The CPU readings are erratic and bounce from 2% to 100% and stays there for a while. It than continues while the laptop's on and bounces from 15% to 80% than back down to 3% and up to 100% while I'm just moving the mouse around.

Yesterday the CPU reading stayed at 100% and everything locked up for about 10 min's.
It stayed locked up but everything that I clicked on didn't respond.
I'm suspicious that this distro is dialing home/out.

Just don't change distros out of suspicion... Linux offers you enough tools to investigate. I'd begin by checking what processes are ramping up the CPU with tools like top and htop, and doing some duckduckgoi-ing or goolgling or the search engine of your choice.

The other day I had a similar behaviour in debian and it was because a kernel update done from Gnome Software was showing a text-based warning about secure boot into nowhere (no tty / terminal visible). Some quirky behaviour between dbus and apt was going bananas and putting one of my cores to the 100%.

Currently No. 9 with a bullet at DistroWatch, but of course that may not be a guarantee of security.

Wiz

Now after only resizing the Linuxfx partition so I could install another distro alongside of it it won't boot.
I took the time to make a menuentry for it so it would show up in Grub and it still won't boot.

My friend and I are done with this distro.

The developer didn't return my e-mail for help so that says something to.

ASAIK there isn't a Forum for Linuxfx: [Windosfx].

I'm off to install Puppy Linux-

Cheers,
Alex

I never did get to installing Chromium because the distro won't boot now.
And, my friend isn't happy with Windosfx at all.
We have had a lot of problems with this distro and need something that works on his laptop.

So, I'm off to help my friend install Puppy Linux alongside of Linux Lite which is working correctly.

Currently No. 9 with a bullet at DistroWatch, but of course that may not be a guarantee of security.

Wiz
Speaking of security It looks like {high CPU using big time with only FF running} this distro is dialing home or out.
And, w/o a Forum for support it's not helpful.:(

OH, and the developer isn't returning my e-mails for support.

Also, the installer that came with Windowsfx wouldn't let me dual boot with Elementary OS which was already installed. It would fail to create the partition that I manually created w/o any other explanation other than 'failed to create partition'.
This distro left me no other choice but to give it complete dominance over the whole HDD.
BTW, that's not what my best mate wanted to do.

-::-In 12 years of running Linux I've never seen this happen.-::-

Thanks to everyone who chimed in to help. :)

Cheers,
Alex

Last edited:
Just a heads up, Alex ... and I know I sound like a cracked record ... take a full, on demand snapshot of LL first with Timeshift before installing anything else.

Cheers

Wiz

Just a heads up, Alex ... and I know I sound like a cracked record ... take a full, on demand snapshot of LL first with Timeshift before installing anything else.

Cheers

Wiz
Thanks for reminding me.
I wrote it down so I won't forget.

Staff online

Members online