Fresh Installation of a linux os

Jokkr

Reaction score
Credits
Hello friends, I am Very new to PCs and don't have a lot of experience with them. I want to install Linux on my build. So I choose Ubuntu but. I don't know how to fresh install any os . I do have know how to boot from USB,or launch on VM but don't know how to fresh install. Help me. I downloaded the 32bit iso to my friends PC and I want to know what to do to fresh install. All the guides are so confusing and most of them are on how to boot from dual or from live USB. Thanks in advance

Look at https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop#0

One of the biggest questions at this time is: Do you want to completely replace your Operating System or do you want to dual boot - that is, do you want to keep your Operating System and add Linux as well?
As I said this is my first os . I don't like the policies of windows that's why I choose Linux. likes it because of its simplicity. So I want to completely rrun my machine on Linux.

I don't like the policies of windows that's why I choose Linux. likes it because of its simplicity. So I want to completely run my machine on Linux

A man after my own heart :). I have been running from a totally Linux environment from September 2014, and I have seldom missed a moment of not having M$ Windozey on board.

As I said this is my first os .

Actually, and not being a smart arse, it is your second (that is, if you have used Windows). Windows is an Operating System (OS). Macintosh (eg Mac OSX) on Apple, is an OS. Linux is an OS.

Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, and many many others, are all Distributions (Distros) which run on the Linux OS.

All the guides are so confusing and most of them are on how to boot from dual or from live USB

… totally understand. But note my highlighting. Live USB or Live DVD is how you will install from, but once installed, you will boot from your computer.

You will see that from the guide friend @arochester has provided.

Now that that is said…

Hello, @Jokkr and welcome to linux.org.

I am Wizard and I am from Australia. I typically run 65 – 70 Linux Distros over two to three computers. Doesn’t make me an expert, just a glutton for punishment some days. But I LOVE Linux, as do all of us here.

I’ll fire a few questions at you, and if you can answer them when you can, it will better help us to help you better.

For purposes of this exercise, I will call your rig “Rig-Me” (where Me is You), and your friend’s “Rig-Friend” or “Rig-F”. Call them as you wish and we can follow your lead.

Q.1 – you have downloaded a file ending in .iso from Ubuntu’s website, I hope, if not, from where? If I understand correctly, it is on Rig-Friend. It might be named something like the following, but instead of ending with amd64, it will end in something with 32 (for 32-bit):

• ubuntu-16.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso
  • ubuntu-17.10.1-desktop-amd64.iso
  • ubuntu-mate-17.10.1-desktop-amd64.iso
  • other
Can you tell us which one?

Q.2 – Are you certain that your build – Rig-Me – is 32-bit processor, and/or were you just running a 32-bit Windows on it, and is that still there? We can help you establish this if you are not sure.

Q3. - what is the Internet connection for Rig-Me? Is it Ethernet, could be a yellow cable to the wall, or if Wi-Fi, is it a dedicated card inside Rig-Me, or eg a USB dongle?

Q4. - Do you have a Printer (if so, brand and model, please) and are there any other “Peripherals” you wish to connect, might be a music keyboard, or gaming joystick, you get the picture?

Questions 3 and 4 can be used to test “try before you buy” under the Live scenario, to see that all works.

With that slideshow @arochester linked to, a couple of pointers.

Ubuntu uses an Installer it invented, called Ubiquity, also used by Linux Mint and a number of others. It is shown in the Tute.

Step 5 – Download updates will lengthen the time of your install. If you have a good internet connection and live in USA or Britain, it may not make much difference, but if you live elsewhere, it is faster to, post-install, change your Updates Download Mirrors and get a faster update.

Whatever you choose, Ubiquity will download and install the latest Linux Kernel, at the least.

Step 6 – If you are already running Windows, Ubiquity will detect this and offer an extra option to install alongside Windows. Given what you have said, choose Erase anyway.

Don’t choose Encrypt, and don’t choose LVM unless you understand them.

Step 7 – assumes you have chosen LVM, yours will be slightly different.

Everything else there is pretty straight-forward.

For Live install medium, I would suggest USB stick (pen drive) if available, but DVD is fine if you have plenty (can only be used once before session is closed).

Ask any questions and good luck.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

A man after my own heart :). I have been running from a totally Linux environment from September 2014, and I have seldom missed a moment of not having M$ Windozey on board.

Actually, and not being a smart arse, it is your second (that is, if you have used Windows). Windows is an Operating System (OS). Macintosh (eg Mac OSX) on Apple, is an OS. Linux is an OS.

Ubuntu, Linux Mint, Fedora, and many many others, are all Distributions (Distros) which run on the Linux OS.

… totally understand. But note my highlighting. Live USB or Live DVD is how you will install from, but once installed, you will boot from your computer.

You will see that from the guide friend @arochester has provided.

Now that that is said…

Hello, @Jokkr and welcome to linux.org.

I am Wizard and I am from Australia. I typically run 65 – 70 Linux Distros over two to three computers. Doesn’t make me an expert, just a glutton for punishment some days. But I LOVE Linux, as do all of us here.

I’ll fire a few questions at you, and if you can answer them when you can, it will better help us to help you better.

For purposes of this exercise, I will call your rig “Rig-Me” (where Me is You), and your friend’s “Rig-Friend” or “Rig-F”. Call them as you wish and we can follow your lead.

Q.1 – you have downloaded a file ending in .iso from Ubuntu’s website, I hope, if not, from where? If I understand correctly, it is on Rig-Friend. It might be named something like the following, but instead of ending with amd64, it will end in something with 32 (for 32-bit):

• ubuntu-16.04.3-desktop-amd64.iso
  • ubuntu-17.10.1-desktop-amd64.iso
  • ubuntu-mate-17.10.1-desktop-amd64.iso
  • other
Can you tell us which one?

Q.2 – Are you certain that your build – Rig-Me – is 32-bit processor, and/or were you just running a 32-bit Windows on it, and is that still there? We can help you establish this if you are not sure.

Q3. - what is the Internet connection for Rig-Me? Is it Ethernet, could be a yellow cable to the wall, or if Wi-Fi, is it a dedicated card inside Rig-Me, or eg a USB dongle?

Q4. - Do you have a Printer (if so, brand and model, please) and are there any other “Peripherals” you wish to connect, might be a music keyboard, or gaming joystick, you get the picture?

Questions 3 and 4 can be used to test “try before you buy” under the Live scenario, to see that all works.

With that slideshow @arochester linked to, a couple of pointers.

Ubuntu uses an Installer it invented, called Ubiquity, also used by Linux Mint and a number of others. It is shown in the Tute.

Step 5 – Download updates will lengthen the time of your install. If you have a good internet connection and live in USA or Britain, it may not make much difference, but if you live elsewhere, it is faster to, post-install, change your Updates Download Mirrors and get a faster update.

Whatever you choose, Ubiquity will download and install the latest Linux Kernel, at the least.

Step 6 – If you are already running Windows, Ubiquity will detect this and offer an extra option to install alongside Windows. Given what you have said, choose Erase anyway.

Don’t choose Encrypt, and don’t choose LVM unless you understand them.

Step 7 – assumes you have chosen LVM, yours will be slightly different.

Everything else there is pretty straight-forward.

For Live install medium, I would suggest USB stick (pen drive) if available, but DVD is fine if you have plenty (can only be used once before session is closed).

Ask any questions and good luck.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Thanks Friend for the Help. I now understand what live USB and CD means and what's it for!. For the questions....

1) I want to use ubuntu studios ,bc i am a small Youtuber too. I am downloaded the 32bit because i know my processor is 32bit(I think) . actually I have experience with windows but i didn't have a PC before. So I choose Linux for my first os.

I don't have a internet connection specifically for the pc but now i am surfing on usb tethered from my smartphone.

If You Just Got Time So Just Visit My chanel At http://youtube.com/basicinfos

I love the Linux Community bc its huge and very mutually supporting. Thanks for your time to help me.

I have a good friend, userid is @Paul88ks , who is a professional musician, whom I first met at my previous forum, and he uses Ubuntu Studio as well as having used a number of other Linux Distros (distributions). If his alert notifications are on, he will see this thread since I mentioned him, other than that I have not emailed him yet this year to chat, so can do so.

Also our good Member @JasKinasis is a drummer in a British prog rock band, and he may have some advice.

Good luck in your adventures :p

Wizard

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts