Fresh Install of Linux from efi shell

Reedmd

Reaction score
Credits
Hello,

I'm a newbie here and really need some help doing a fresh install on a generic (AVGO) 2-in-1 that had Windows 10 on it. After being extremely frustrated with Windows 10, I followed a tutorial on how to remove the OS from the command prompt but now left with the bare bones EFI shell. I went into the BIOS settings and confirmed that it can boot from USB.

Is it possible for me to install an ISO from USB and if so, which Linux desktop environment for convertible laptops would be best for this type of machine? Please, I need any other EFI commands.

AVGO 10.1" Touch Screen 4GB Memory 32GB Flash Storage Windows 10 2-in-1 Laptop with Detachable Keyboard:
  • 0.1" diagonal touch screen IPS LED touch screen display with HD (720p) resolution
  • Comes with detachable magnetic keyboard
  • Windows 10 operating system
  • 1.33GHz Intel Cherry Trail Z8350 quad-core processor
  • 32GB flash storage plus SDHC/SDXC memory card slot (card not included)
  • 4GB DDR3L system memory
  • Intel HD graphics
  • Does not have DVD/CD player
  • Equipped with 2MP front camera, 5MP rear camera and speakers
  • Has Wi-Fi 2.4GHz, Bluetooth 4.0, USB port, HDMI output and headphone jack
Bluetooth-Enabled
Display TypeIPSFront-Facing Webcam
Hard Drive Type Flash & HDMI Outputs
Internal Storage 32GB
Memory (RAM )4 GB
TypeNoNotebook Computer Type2-in 1 Laptops Notebook
IntelProcessor Speedup to 1.84 GHz
Processor TypeQuad core
Solid State Drive Size 32GB
Storage Card Type & Capacity SDHC / SDXC System Memory Type (RAM) DDR3L
Tablet Storage Capacity32 GB Touchscreen
Wi-Fi Enabled
Wireless Capability Bluetooth

You can definitely use a usb to install linux. Use a program like etcher or rufus. Any linux works well on computers it's more of a preference. But linux mint or ubuntu are usually the best for people switching over, I like mint better than ubuntu, ubuntu has been caught data collecting in the past.

You can definitely use a usb to install linux. Use a program like etcher or rufus. Any linux works well on computers it's more of a preference. But linux mint or ubuntu are usually the best for people switching over, I like mint better than ubuntu, ubuntu has been caught data collecting in the past.

Thanks for your help hawkins and thanks for the heads-up on Ubuntu data collecting in the past; I'll stay away from them knowing that. :)

Welcome to Linux.org,

Linux Mint seems to be the starting place for most who are coming from a Windows environment.

Have a read.

Although written for Linux Mint it will work with most mainstream Linux distros and is a great way to try out Linux and get a taste of it without installing it onto your computer.

Linux Mint.

Linux Mint 19.3 download.

A good read.

ubuntu has been caught data collecting in the past.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts