Fresh Install of Euro Linux in Virtual Box (WiFi)

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
I just installed Euro Linux (based on RHEL and Scientific Linux) in Virtual Box the other day.
The installation went well however I haven't yet been able to get the WiFi working.

I found the instructions: Chapter 10 Managing WiFi Connections here:

The first set of instructions I don't really understand because I'm still in the process of learning and reading from my RHCSA/RHCE certification study guide.

Chapter 10.3 says that you can use the control center and to start the process to press the super key and than follow the rest of the instructions.

Does anyone know if I press the super key in Virtual Box will that lock up my host/ Debian 10?

If I am not mistaken usually in Virtual box the wifi connections are handled by the host system not the system install in the VM. So your internet connections will be handled by Debian 10 not Redhat.

If I am not mistaken usually in Virtual box the wifi connections are handled by the host system not the system install in the VM. So your internet connections will be handled by Debian 10 not Redhat.
I think you are mistaken.

When I try to launch Firefox I get 'server not found'.
Also in the Settings Mgr under WiFi the system says 'no WiFi adapter found'

Aside from the instructions I posted, is there another way to configure the WiFi?

This is a few years old, but don't think it has changed much since then.
"VirtualBox does not offer a WiFi adapter to any VMs, it's only Ethernet adapters, i.e. wired ones.
The only way that you could access a WiFi network over WiFi would be to use a USB WiFi adapter, which 1) you'd have to capture in your VM, and 2) you wouldn't be able to use on your host." - virtualbox.org

There are examples given by Virtualbox where by you can get it to recognize wifi but you have to be using a usb wifi adapter and it can not be connect by the host machine. Other than that you can try the bridge network with the host machine's wifi network but VM's do not play well with it and may or may not be workable.

This is a few years old, but don't think it has changed much since then.
"VirtualBox does not offer a WiFi adapter to any VMs, it's only Ethernet adapters, i.e. wired ones.
The only way that you could access a WiFi network over WiFi would be to use a USB WiFi adapter, which 1) you'd have to capture in your VM, and 2) you wouldn't be able to use on your host." - virtualbox.org

There are examples given by Virtualbox where by you can get it to recognize wifi but you have to be using a usb wifi adapter and it can not be connect by the host machine. Other than that you can try the bridge network with the host machine's wifi network but VM's do not play well with it and may or may not be workable.
At the moment I don't have a wifi adapter handy.

Thanks for the info.

Do you think kc1di, if I install either Euro Linux or Scientific Linux to my 1 TB HDD that I would be able to get the WiFi working?

Last edited:

Members online