free vpn for linux

Chris Rachal

Reaction score
Credits
I was wondering if there are good free vpns for linux. Or if there is an easy want to make one in linux itself?

Excellent Point, in fact, @arochester .....

I have surveyed many, many vpn's and it boils down to just one point, (which has stood the test of time in many other areas)..........You get what you pay for

People who are in business as vpn providers, need to make money. if you as the customer do not pay them, there is only one avenue left to egt the money from. Your information. They sell it. And any dreams you may have had about being with a safe provider who will safeguard your data ....evaporate !

I use airvpn and have done for years.

I PAY for the privilege of having peace of mind.

Do I ever compare the cost with other providers ? No. The system I use is not broken and does not require repair.

Like the guys above say, if it's free, there's a reason. This same thing goes for ALL Google products. How can a company be worth so much money when they give away all their products?

There are several things to keep in mind when searching for a VPN. The main reason people choose to use a VPN is so that no one knows what they're doing online. So something to look for is logging practices. I bet if you find a free VPN they either outright tell you they're keeping logs on everything you do, or don't mention logging at all. Another thing to keep in mind, depending on how much secrecy you want/need, is where the company is located. While they may say that they don't log, if they're hosted in certain countries, the goverment may persuade them to log anyway. AirVPN is located in one of the 14 Eyes countries. Which means they're in a country that works with others for monitoring their citizens. Read more at https://restoreprivacy.com/5-eyes-9-eyes-14-eyes/. Here's a site I use to see who's who in the zoo https://thatoneprivacysite.net/#detailed-vpn-comparison. You may want to download the data and view it in Libre so you can see it better.

Just wanted to follow up. If you're not doing illegal activities on the net, then you don't need to be too worried about if the VPN is hosted in an "eyes" country. But if you're getting a VPN for those things then you should keep it in mind. My VPN is hosted in teh same country as I am, so it would be easy for them to get logs if they wanted to. I'm not worried about it. I just have the VPN for general privacy, carefree connections to public wifi and no tracking by ISP.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts