Free books to read! FOSS books or books about FOSS.

KGIII

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
You can read "Open Sources: Voices from the Open Source Revolution" online, for free, at this site:

It's a good book about the history and culture that is FOSS. It's old, but still valid. If you scroll down through the list of authors, you might be surprised who you see there. It has everyone from Perens to Wall in there, including Torvalds, Stallman, and Raymond.

It's online, but one could possibly use HTTrack or even wget.

This could probably go in the resources thread, but this is one of my favorite sites for finding alternatives. In my case, I don't need to find Linux alternatives of Windows applications, I need to find alternatives for the Linux software that I want to replace or try.

You can use it any ol' way you want:

I am fond of saying to Windows users "make friends with alternativeto.net" , I think it is an excellent resource. :)

Avagudweegend

Wizard

This could probably go in the resources thread,

Actually, I think the above 3 (albeit great) are better situated in Resources

Make that 4, slow down mate :)

This is about FOSS.

This is about FOSS.
I was just trying to look for some books to contribute to @KGIII 's topic. I guess you are right, I moved them. Will try to find some books about FOSS.

This is about FOSS.

Frankly, I'm not sure there's enough content to even make the thread viable - unless we allow some leeway in submissions. Otherwise, there's not a whole lot of books that suit this subject.

So, we're either gonna have to allow some leeway, or simply not do it. I'm fine with whatever you pick. I ain't scared!

I'd stick with do it. Sometimes a Thread can have only one input and still be valuable, and therefore worthy of pinning rather than having it trail off into obscurity.

I ain't scared!

Me neither, that's why I'm a Mod. :)

The Cathedral and the Bazaar

"This directory gives you access to almost all of the contents of my evolving book, The Cathedral and the Bazaar. Enjoy — but be aware that I have sold O'Reilly the exclusive commercial printing rights."

I was doing some searching for kudzo and I came across this:

More searching led me to this:

Some address-foo led me to this:

So, there are quite a few books online there. I can't speak to the legality, but they're all older books (that I've found) and they may well have the rights to publish them.

Use a search engine and I'm really confident that you'll find more.

This might fit better in the learning resources thread, but this thread has largely turned into being specifically about books. So, I'm gonna just drop this here:

Enjoy!

So, I'm gonna just drop this here
A good link just got some learning material to work with and get a better handle of what I want to do Thank you. :D:cool: