FPS single player for Ubuntu

lekkerlinux

Reaction score
Credits
Any ideas about I rewarding first person shooter (single player) on Ubuntu that's free and not too demanding on low specs hardware?

I could only find Nexuiz and OpenArena, but I am looking for something less sci fi.

BIG like - used to love playing Wolfenstein, it was developed in my home town of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

Wiz

Just thinking a bit about it further, Lekker. :)

The same company also used to produce Duke Nukem, Blake Stone, Doom and others.

Rado may have ideas on where to find them and run them.

I basically gave up gaming 10 or more years ago, because I could sit there for hours trying to beat my high score or get to the highest level :D:D

Wiz

All 3 games @wizardfromoz mentioned in the above post are available on Steam. IDK how they're gonna perform with Proton but that can be checked on this page (there's a search box in the top left corner): https://www.protondb.com/explore

I don't play for high scores, I play for fun. FPS isn't my favorite genre. I prefer games like American Truck Simulator - they're more relaxing.

BIG like - used to love playing Wolfenstein, it was developed in my home town of Brisbane, Queensland, Australia.

Wiz

Return to Castle Wolfenstein was also one of my favourite, except the part with the huge monster with ghosts coming out of it, suffocating you. I got stuck there for a while.

I visited Brisbane for two months in 2012 and for two months in 2014, very bright and cheerful, nothing like Castle Wolfenstein. I don't like big cities. Sorry, drifted off topic again. Brisbane! Das est gut!

Last edited:
Just thinking a bit about it further, Lekker. :)

The same company also used to produce Duke Nukem, Blake Stone, Doom and others.

Rado may have ideas on where to find them and run them.

I basically gave up gaming 10 or more years ago, because I could sit there for hours trying to beat my high score or get to the highest level :D:D

Wiz

Same here, I keep watching the markets and I just want to play some games to get my mind of the markets for a while.

I played many kinds of games in the past. I tried 0 A.D. now and keep running out of some of the four resources. It seems more difficult than Age of Empires or I have gotten dumber? I don't know.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Played it 2 days ago on Steam with Proton 4.2-2.

Yes, that was one of my favorites too. I have seen "Steam Installer" in my Lubuntu software center. So I must install that first and then what do I do after that?

I discovered Sauerbraten in Synaptic, also called Cube 2. Have you tried that one?

I am no serious gamer anymore, I just want to have one game from the strategy genre, one from the rally racing kind and one FPS. I already have 0 A.D. which is okay and free. One down two to go.

Thanks for the feedback! There is no gaming section in this forum, so I just threw a stone into the bushes, so to speak.

All 3 games @wizardfromoz mentioned in the above post are available on Steam. IDK how they're gonna perform with Proton but that can be checked on this page (there's a search box in the top left corner): https://www.protondb.com/explore

I don't play for high scores, I play for fun. FPS isn't my favorite genre. I prefer games like American Truck Simulator - they're more relaxing.

I used to play Midtown Madness a lot, many years ago. I am looking for some rally racing kind of game now. There are lots of free options but the graphics are really ugly.

There is no gaming section in this forum, so I just threw a stone into the bushes, so to speak.

We're looking into it, it may be a little way off.

For now, the bushes at General Linux are as good a spot as any to cast a stone :)

Wiz

That sounds great, but it's multiplayer and my internet is slow. I remember playing Ghost Recon long ago. In the bushes, in the city, in the desert and the last version was in the jungle.

I was going to move this to the gaming section, but then realized we don't have one! :)

I thought I created one a while back.. todo list for this weekend .. heh.

Go for it Rob! I was waiting for a gaming section, all the best.

Reactions: Rob
We'll have to find the other gaming type threads and move em over the next few days..

Who's "we" Lone Ranger?

Not so obedient Tonto

Created the gaming section.. moved :)

We'll have to find the other gaming type threads and move em over the next few days..
Considering how fast gaming for Linux grows these days, it wouldn't be too hard to create these other threads to fill the gaming section. ;)

And if I may - what about an offtopic section? Meaning a section about anything that isn't related to Linux? There we could discuss music, SWIFT drivers or even talk about aliens, if we wanted to. :p Every forum out there has an offtopic section and I understand Linux is a vice for all of us but I think we need a place to blow off some steam as well.

@wizardfromoz

Music would be good.

@Rob ... need a Suggestion Box, Mate - Front Office might be good.

A "speakeasy" of the type Rado is describing has merit. I have a Thread of Brian's I could move there to get it started.

Wiz

Anything not relating to Linux? Try Facebook.
The polite version of what I was gonna tell you is to put your opinion where sunlight doesn't shine. If Rob makes an offtopic section, nobody's forcing you to read it. Anyway, the next time you need help with anything, I won't be one of those trying to help your ungrateful arse!

Members online

Latest posts