Formatted USB key showing wrong size

SeanK

Reaction score
Credits
I have very new Samsung USB key 65GB purchased from a legit retail outlet. For some reason when I formatted it in Manjaro using USB stick formatter and tried copying files it claims it only has 4GB of drive space when the drive is empty. Is it something to do with the extn FAT32/NTFS? I'm a little perplexed.

Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions?

g'day sean :)

are you still using the KDE DE?

it has its own partition editor, you could take a look at the stick and send us a screenie

when using kde i prefer gparted so i always install it

Code:
sudo pacman -S gparted

wiz

Something's funky!

But, I would agree that gparted will give you a better idea of what's up with the stick. Almost every USB stick in the world started out with fat32 or maybe more lately with exfat, so something is mistaken.

Something's funky!

But, I would agree that gparted will give you a better idea of what's up with the stick. Almost every USB stick in the world started out with fat32 or maybe more lately with exfat, so something is mistaken.

Exactly. I find it weird too...

it has its own partition editor, you could take a look at the stick and send us a screenie

Code:
sudo pacman -S gparted

wiz

Code:
sudo pacman -S gparted

wiz

Hi Wiz,

Yes still using KDE. I have used gparted occasionally in the past but I had not considered it in this instance. I'll start by trying a second format and see how it tracks. USB key's can be a bit unreliable over time as you may well know but this one is not that old so it struck me as a little odd.

Will let you know how I get on. As always appreciate the help.

There's always good old fsck ...

Well an update for anyone interested. I formatted the USB a second time and now its working. As a comparison I tried formatting in Win 10 and it worked every time. So not the key but then I did not think it was.

Maybe something in the USB format program in Manjaro KDE or possibly just a quirk of some kind (not a very technical explanation I know).

Staff online

Members online